View Single Post
Old 8th February 2009   #6 (permalink)
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Whiteworms

This is how I raise them: in a plastic container (I've tried tanks for cultures, and they don't seem to work for me) with a few drill holes for air. I stuff a bit of sponge or foam through the holes, so that other bugs can't contaminate the cultures. I put in soil that I've sterilized in the microwave (garden soil I buy from a Home Depot type store, with no additives). For whiteworms, I just feed them bread. I bury a piece under the soil (to keep it from getting moldy) once a week, or whenever there is no bread left, it's pretty usually once a week. But when I get a request to buy a culture, I put another piece in. The bread feeds them and also attracts them, so in a couple days, where the bread is will have a bunch of worms around it, making it easier to get them out to send. Otherwise they are throughout the soil, because I also sometimes add baby oatmeal and stir it throughout. I use the baby oatmeal because I also raise springtails, and that's what I feed them, and since I have it around, I add some of that as well. I keep three going at once, in case one crashes, (which hasn't happened though, since I finally got the knack of raising them, it didn't happen right away). When I have extra bread-type food, I'll use that too (ex. extra Xmas cookies, Xmas fruitcake, Xtra donuts, graham crackers, etc). But otherwise usually I buy whole-wheat pita bread or whole-wheat tortillas.

After a few times of trying, when my cultures died or got bugs, this worked. I did get some mites at one point, which totally grossed me out and I threw out my cultures. However, I've learned to tolerate them occasionally, I think they come when I've fed them too much. It's just a feel. They are pretty much mite-free, though I occasionally see a couple, I think they're unavoidable. If anyone disagrees, please say so, I'm still learning.

And that's all I know in a nutshell, and it's been working.

update: I don't bother sterilizing dirt anymore. I just use herp bedding (jungle carpet, eco earth, or something similar. It's lighter and fluffier than regular dirt).

Last edited by Otterwoman; 17th December 2009 at 05:15.
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote