View Single Post
Old 12th February 2009   #29 (permalink)
Bruce Maclean
(herpvet)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: herpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: UV lights in the care of caudates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper View Post
How many animals affected and what diet were they getting?

As an aside...if animals are not getting what they need will the whole group of only a select few be affected?(say, if you have a bunch of bearded dragons and do not provide UV...will they all succumb to MBD, or only a few at a time?)

Because many times hobbyists who see only single animals affected pass it off as not nutritional/environmental if all the animals are getting the same. Is this reasonable?
Hello,

I would have to say in my experience the answer is no to the latter. I've seen several cases where one or a small minority of a group on similar husbandry have shown signs of problems while the others show none. Animals are individuals and can react differently to the same husbandry. In the group situation, with a (generally) relatively slow-acting problem like deficient diet, the animals will almost certainly show varying degrees of problems.

Of course depending on circumstances, the fact that only a minority of the group are affected might drop nutritional or environmental factors down the priority list of differential diagnoses, but it rarely rules it out in my opinion.

Bruce.
herpvet is offline   Reply With Quote