View Single Post
Old 6th March 2009   #5 (permalink)
John Clare
(John)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Caudata.org Grant Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberlin View Post
I have two questions. First, is the point of the poll to narrow things down to a single project? Second, the projects are much more specific than I imagined. (I imagined something more like an investment in television advertising or political activism.) Me, I would prefer to cast a vote for a project that would prove most beneficial to the broadest range of amphibians. Is there a way of discerning the broadest potential application from the results of the various projects?
Scientific grants do not work in that fashion. In order to receive a grant from a scientific funding organisation, lots of detail must be provided so that the organisation can make an informed decision knowing that their money will be targeted at a specific issue or area. For small grants like ours, this system is perhaps even more essential to insure that our money has the most effect. I hope this makes sense to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
John, would it be possible for you to post the Caudata.org grant description and guidelines for application? I know you had mentioned in another thread that our grant specifies that we have "a strong preference for supporting projects that involve biologists from the speciesí native country" - what other specifications, if any, were outlined in the application procedure?
Here: http://www.amphibianark.org/Kevin/Caudata.org-grant.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
And how was the 'call for application' made/advertised?
Kevin made people aware of it. I also wrote to a few organisations (concerned with axolotls) to let them know it was available.