View Single Post
Old 12th March 2009   #7 (permalink)
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Whiteworms: always available

Just to add to Dawn's info...I got my cultures from her, and I've had success in 32 oz deli cups with the insect lids. I split the culture I got from her into three deli cups, and filled them up the rest of the way with moist coconut pith. I feed them exclusively babyfood oatmeal, and they have been doing great for me for several months.

I inadvertently found a great way to harvest them. Split the culture into a new deli cup, and wet the substrate down quite a bit more than usual. This will drive all the worms to the surface and up the sides of the cup where they can easily be scraped off. After you have harvested them, top off the cup with damp coconut pith, and this will absorb the excess moisture so that they burrow back down into the soil.

Hope this helps
Tim
taherman is offline   Reply With Quote