View Single Post
Old 21st August 2009   #8 (permalink)
monkeyfrogman28

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More captive plethodontid breedings

Whats the best way to raise the Desmognathus welteri eggs? I found a clutch up in the mountains (mnt. Jimney or something in MA) They look 100% exactly like the picture. How do I care for them??? Do I leave the eggs on moist towels or submerged in water. I have them in a plastic tub with water under them.

Some of the larve are out of their eggs but arent moving and still have their yolk sacs. A couple are moving even tho they are out and some are moving in thier egg. The larve all have front and back limbs in their eggs.

Is it bad for them to be in the water right now while they are in thier egg?

Also they say that Desmognathus welteri are not found in MA at all but I have the eggs to prove it... THey look like your picture unless the picture is labled wrong. The larve are brownish with tiny spots in a line.
The reason I took them is because the mother was dead on the walk way. I think a mountain bike smooshed her. She was dead for several days. I saw a mouse check them out but I scarred it away and grabbed the eggs. I want to raise them. I have raised other salamanders but not this species.

Last edited by monkeyfrogman28; 21st August 2009 at 20:18. Reason: more info
monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote