View Single Post
Old 9th December 2009   #7 (permalink)
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Scientific Nomenclature

Punkamph- I honestly dont know why you think there is an atmosphere of higher intellectualism....
If some of us choose to use almost exclusively the scientific nomenclature it is because its a FAR better system., and it allows us to discuss and identify species inmediately and with no mistakes.
Its true that the first step is to associate the common name to its binomial, but once you get the hang of it you actually just forget about common names altogether...

This is no scientific magazine, this is a forum for hobbyists, the vast majority of people here have no scientific education, just an inherit love for caudates, but we all use binomials because it just makes sense xD
Im sorry you find it unnaproachable...im sure youll get the hang of it soon.

Jaster- Im studying a turtle in that very same family for one exam next week xD

Blueberlin- you just described why common names are useless. Every language has its own names and they rarely translate exactly the same. I also think its rather silly that non-native speakers such as myself, have to learn the english names....specially when i can just learn scientific nomenclature and solve the problem xD

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote