View Single Post
Old 9th December 2009   #12 (permalink)
Salmonella
(Salmonella)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Salmonella has given consistently good advice and informationSalmonella has given consistently good advice and informationSalmonella has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Scientific Nomenclature

Great issue that does need addressing! (Especially for the not quite so educated person as I.)

To quote member comments re this thread:

"People tend to capitalize both parts of the binomial too." - I have done this on MANY occasions - still have to back up and make a "lower case" adjustment.

"It is a very useful and clear system of describing what we are talking about." Yes. A great advantage - especially when you understand the root word meanings. I sure wish I understood the Latin and Greek languages that would be a boon!

"Itīs interesting to note that many scientific names contain a short description of the actual species it names. A very good example is Cynops pyrrhogaster where the specific name "pyrrhogaster" is a compound of Greek words that literally means "Firebelly" (pyrrhos=fire ; gaster=stomach, belly)." - See my comment above.

"Many scientific names refer to a particular feature of the animal or its origin." - (As stated above) - best aspect of scientific names besides the specie confusion issue.

Thank you all so much. This forum is awesome because of people like you!
Salmonella is offline   Reply With Quote