View Single Post
Old 1st March 2010   #5 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: How should Caudata.org be supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
Regarding ad content, look at Frog Forum for examples. With Google ads, there is minimal control over what kinds of ads they are. Objectionable advertisers can be blocked, that's it. They would generally not be herp related.
Herein lies the 'rub' from my perspective. I appreciate the look of our site sans junky advertising - it is appealing and brings a more professional appearance. Herp related ads would be one thing - random ads lacking any pertinence would be another.

However, I would rather have this site available than not. If we are unable to continue to finance this site through contributions alone and advertising is the only viable financial option to secure the site's future - then with 'backs against the wall', one does what one has to do, preferences aside. John will have to make the call as he (and perhaps you) know(s) the volume of dollars that come in and go out for sustaining/improving the site.

We also have a desire to support AmphibianArk with grant monies derived from donations. Would it merit discussion that these donations be used for site support vs. grant funding if it boils down to using Google ads vs. these donations? The other caveat may be, however, that the level of donations may not be as high if donations were not being used for grant monies.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote