View Single Post
Old 15th March 2010   #36 (permalink)
John Clare
(John)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: How should Caudata.org be supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velaria View Post
Whoa- it's the equivalent of $75.00 USD a month??

I hope I'm not being too forward by saying that the web host is really gauging you, John! Even with a ton of traffic, that's an outrageous cost! Have you considered switching hosts? I use hostica.com. They have great hosting prices, even for high traffic, large-bandwidth sites.
I think you mean gouging, not gauging.

Firstly, you are absolutely incorrect. Normally I wouldn't answer this post because it's naive presumption. I sincerely mean no offence but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I'm only answering this because I don't want you to give other members false information when they read what you've posted.

Unfortunately you don't have the benefit of Caudata.org's nearly 10 year experience and my 15 years working on the web. It is true to say that most hosting companies "offer" huge bandwidth hosting plans for relatively little money. These are "virtual" hosting plans where you share a server with many other customers but from your point of view it appears that you have your own little server. You're sharing all the resources of the server computer with all the other customers.

Try running a site that uses serious bandwidth on a top virtual hosting plan and see what happens. Now add a serious database that needs to be accessed for most page loads. We outgrew virtual hosting pretty early on but we persevered with it until about 6 years ago. For example, our last host was one of the top 5 rated web hosting companies, but while we stayed well within their plan requirements, we used far more CPU time than they were comfortable with so they wanted us to go to a dedicated server (our own, unshared machine) which, at the time, the most basic plan would have cost nearly 4 times what we're paying now.
John is offline   Reply With Quote