View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010   #35 (permalink)
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Scientific Nomenclature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Greg View Post
If I knew how to pronounce more than a few of them, I just might, but here is the few I think I have figured out. ( You guys backstop me if you can )
  • Rana, is about as easy as it gets with " ranˇa " Ran-uh or Rain-uh is acceptable
  • Dendrobates, ( near as I can figure ) would probably come out as " denˇdrōˇˇtēs " [COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]Den dro bat tez[/COLOR]
  • Caudata - I'm not even totally sure about that one perhaps " cawˇdātˇaw " or " cawˇdawˇtaw " [COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]Correct- Caw Dat UH[/COLOR]
  • Hyla, probably another relatively easy one with " hiˇla "
  • Triturus, probably not to bad with " triˇturˇus "
  • Ambystoma, perhaps " amˇbyˇstoma " or " amˇbeˇstoma "
  • Trochus, might be " trōˇshˇus "
  • Pseudostomatella, " ˇˇstōˇmaˇtella "
  • Notophthalmus, to me appears to be " noˇtofˇthalˇmuˇs " [COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]This is a tricky one. In truth the "th" is pronounced "T" however "th" is generally accepted (yup, just like in Neanderthal "Nee and er Tall") yet when you throw a "ph" before it it gets messy and nearly impossible to pronounce aloud when you are missing as many teeth as I am. The "phth" sounds like "fluh" on its own and you have the "al" in there so you get "Know TAWflawl muss"[/COLOR]
That's about it for what I have puzzled out.
And there is my two cents worth...
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote