Chopper Greg

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chopper Greg has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Scientific Nomenclature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
Seriously...the "h" in "Hyla" is mute, it doesnīt exist as far as pronunciation goes. And the "y" is not "i" (well, for us it is, but not for you) as in "high", itīs "i" as in "it" or "ee".

You anglicize latin words waaaaaay too much, guys xD I understand itīs hard to change from a germanic language to a latin one, but i think the "latin" (or as close as we can manage) pronunciation should be respected, after all, the words are latin. I believe a word should be pronounced following the rules of the language it belongs to...although admittedly, itīs not easy.

The problem is that not all the root words used in scientific nomenclature are Latin, so do you then use the rules for the language for which each individual root word actually belongs?

This really sound like something that the editors of Merriam-Webster recently reviewed - in that if a word becomes a part of the English language, then the English rules are followed in pronunciation ( and the same should go other languages ). Merriam-Webster Online

My line of thought then says that if scientific nomenclature is used by an English speaker then the English rules on pronouncing it apply - as it then applies the same rule to all the root words used by scientific nomenclature, regardless of their root language - IOW a single pronunciation standard is applied by all the speakers of a given language, that is then not contrary to the normal rules of that language.

If such a local ( national? ) standard is used, then I suspect that scientific nomenclature will become less threating to the general population, and in return because it becomes easier to use, it is used more often.
Chopper Greg is offline   Reply With Quote