View Single Post
Old 12th November 2010   #9 (permalink)
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!

Thanks everyone for the good luck. These P. rubers are Long Term Captives. They were kept in a tank with many big flat rocks with gravel at the bottom. No plants, no water flow, and low photo periods. For the past 2 months I've been feeding them every 2 days, stuffing them with earth worms. The room they are being kept in is about 48 degrees F. That room never gets higher than 60 degrees even in the summer. I'm sure it was the constant feedings, temperature drop and low light situation which led to breeding.

I am now considering removing most of the eggs. There's a lot of aggression going on. The females are fierce as ever! Some of the males in that tank have obvious bite marks on their sides, that can't be good. I'm going towards a less stress element so I am going to separate the males and let the females guard their nest. It seems logic to let them continue their natural process of life. Right now which is laying eggs and guarding their nests. Plus I like watching the new behavior. Tail and body fanning their nests and being super alert. I'm going to let the moms be moms!