View Single Post
Old 16th November 2011   #8 (permalink)
Molch
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: No newts in water...for MONTHS

I guess my tanks are by the Walstad method: organic potting soil under a layer of gravel. The key to that method is to have it very densely planted from the beginning, with plants that root strongly and can do well in the cooler temps of a newt tank. Some of my favorites are Rotala rotundifolia, Vallisneria spiralis and Sagittaria subulata. I find my amazon swords won't grow well under 70 F. My water depths is also approx. 14 inches. The cyanurus love it.

another thought: rather than being stressed, if your newts are still on the young side, they may simply be not yet ready to completely return to the water. I would say, as long as they appear healthy and are eating, I wouldn't worry too much about whether they are in the water or on land. I would take the filter out though, just in case that's what's bothering them...