View Single Post
Old 17th November 2011   #13 (permalink)
Molch
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: No newts in water...for MONTHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztor View Post
@Molch - I have this nice potting soil from the local garden center it's there very own soil derived from compost.... is that something i could use... once i get the sticks and such out of it? or is there something I need to be concerned about in soil derived/enriched by composting? I know my Grape vine outside was (it's now winter) growing great in that stuff! lol
If it is well composted it is probably all right. (you can do the sniff test - does it smell like soil? It shouldn't smell like manure). Also, it shouldn't contain any added fertilizer or any of those little plastic bits (perlite). I would sort out the larger sticks and bark pieces. What works brilliantly is to sift the soil, after it has dried a bit, through one of those metal screen covers for terrariums. That will sort out all larger particles real effectively. I use the metal covers, not the plastic one; the metal ones have a wider mesh