View Single Post
Old 31st December 2011   #39 (permalink)
Thomas
(ozarkhellbender)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Where are all the plethodontid keepers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper View Post
One of my main reasons for not attempting them is they are supposedly very sensitive to higher temperatures. The salamandrids I keep were all selected due to hardiness, and I can rest assured they won't keel over even when temps get above the mid 70's. Plethodontids look delicate.

I'd be interested in hearing what species are particularly outgoing and interesting, as well.

I briefly kept a WC Batrachoseps attenuatus. Very neat in the way they capture prey. They simply do not miss!
It depends on the species. Some species don't really become active until it stays above the mid 70's. From personal experience, I've found that Pseudotriton ruber is much more heat-tolerant that most people believe. Plethodontids are a huge and varied group.

As far as outgoing, Eurycea lucifuga is very outgoing and Pseudotriton ruber is when kept in an aquatic setup, although it is not necessary to keep them in an aquatic setup.

I've been wanting to acquire some Batrachoseps. I'd just like to try any western Plethodontid, especially the Ensatina eschscholtzii ssp.