View Single Post
Old 20th November 2012   #27 (permalink)
bewilderbeast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: bewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: What Is Your Favorite Genus of North American Plethodontids?

I'm a big fan of Aneides myself, and they are the only plethodontid genus I keep....

But my Favorite genus has got to be Batrachoseps.

Mostly because they are so under-appreciated. They are diminutive and rather common backyard salamanders for the most part and people don't really notice them or get too worked up about them. But I like em!

They are almost exclusively a California genus.... which I like.
There are most certainly undescribed species still out there.... 3 were just given full species status bringing the number of species to around 25, i believe.

I recently discovered an unknown population in a region of California thought to be devoid of terrestrial salamanders. After DNA analysis, they turned out to be Hell Hollow slender salamanders and not a new species.... but it was a huge westerly range extension into habitat that was not at all typical of these animals. on top of this, I found multiple individuals under the same cover. On a good day in typical habitat you would be lucky to find even one.

Now I am hooked on discovering unknown populations of Batrachoseps.
bewilderbeast is offline   Reply With Quote