Thread: Ensatinas

View Single Post
Old 20th November 2012   #22 (permalink)
bewilderbeast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: bewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Ensatinas

I think there are 2 main reasons for these salamanders not being more popular in captivity.

1: Except for 2 subspecies, they are all from California, making it tricky for non Californian's to get a hold of any. As a californian it is illegal for me to sell a native species (there are a few snake species with special permissions) So Ensatina are safely tucked away here in California.

2: Despite the striking colors and variability within even the same ssp., Ensatina make boring captives. They have a tendency to remain under cover most of the time. They are just more sedate than say, Aneides, which are surface active some of the time and quite acrobatic because of they're climbing abilities. Even my A. flavipunctatus, which are more terrestrial and fossorial (like Ensatina) than most Aneides, will be out and about the tank or "treefrogging" it on the side of the glass at night.

They are real pretty though. I should post some pics..... it's been a while since I posted any photos to the site.
bewilderbeast is offline   Reply With Quote