View Single Post
Old 31st October 2013   #32 (permalink)
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by velasco13000 View Post
I see that the mother guards them...when the eggs hatch will she eat the larvae??
Paternal canibalism does happen. It happens in captivity and in the wild. The reason why some females eat their eggs or offspring is because during the time they guard their nest they aren't concerned with eating. So during the whole time a mother watches and tail fans her eggs (for air circulation) she will not eat.

So previous to breeding if a mother hasn't eaten well she may eat her eggs or young. I feed my salamanders often so I doubt she will eat her eggs