View Single Post
Old 9th October 2014   #7 (permalink)
Lamb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Desmognathus breeding success...now what?

Honestly, I was incredibly surprised that she oviposited. I have been told that getting females to oviposit is more difficult than getting individuals to court and breed, and I can't really contradict that statement based on this one observation alone.

These salamanders are wild caught (I have the appropriate scientific and federal permits), and they are maintained individually in tupperwares lined with moist paper towels in the laboratory at a constant temperature (21 C, which is okay for these salamanders in South Mississippi). Each salamander was placed in multiple different pairings for the purposes of my courtship study, and this particular female was inseminated by one of the males in my study. Once this female had concluded her courtship trials, I placed her in to a larger tupperware (the set up is described in a previous reply in this thread). She began ovipositing within 2 days of being moved in to the new enclosure. I've been conducting the study during the natural courtship and ovipositional periods for this species, so perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised that she oviposited. That being said, I treated another female in the same way, and she has yet to oviposit (fingers crossed).
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote