View Single Post
Old 18th November 2014   #10 (permalink)
Lamb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Desmognathus breeding success...now what?

I plan on raising the larvae in the lab at least through metamorphosis, and on raising at least some of the offspring farther (the last time I counted, she had at least 23 in her cluster). If I'm able, and if my permitting authorities are alright with the idea, I'd love to raise a few of these to large enough sizes where I can then donate them to the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science as live specimens. I did this with one other species that I raised in the past.

I have fairy shrimp eggs from Arizona Fairy Shrimp , from which I'll get naupli to feed the hatchlings. If you're looking for tiny food, I've had great success with eggs from this company. I currently have larvae of the same species of Desmognathus in the lab, and I'm feeding them a mixture of fairy shrimp, mosquito larvae, and frozen bloodworms. Most are still strongly cuing in on movement, so I have to wiggle the bloodworms in front of their noses. I'll use my DSLR and macro lens to photograph all of them (both the current and any new larvae) as they develop.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote