Thread: Ensatinas

View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2014   #28 (permalink)
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Ensatinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamander View Post
Hope it's cool that I'm bringing up an old thread... I've always been enamored by these guys, but lived no where close to them. This past summer I traveled to the west coast and saw 4 out of the 7 subspecies and became even more enamored!

I've been checking out a couple of ensatina threads seeing the legality of keeping them (out of state) and I've seen conflicting responses. Does anyone that keep the Cali subspecies live outside of California?

Thanks!!
You can collect them with a valid fishing license ( in your case a non resident fishing license ). However, they have to be legal in your state as well. As far as I have seen California is the ONLY state where you can legally collect them, it is illegal in both Oregon and Washington. No permits or licenses are offered to the general public to attain them in Washington.
In your state ( Virginia ) it looks like they are legal to keep, but investigate for yourself before transporting them, if you ever decide to.
I don't keep any California subspecies, but I legally could. Here is the current regulations.
Quote:

(a) Only the following amphibians may be taken under the authority of a sportfishing license, subject to the restrictions in this section. No amphibians may be taken from ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section 630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments.
(b) Limit: The limit for each of the species listed below is four, unless otherwise provided. Limit, as used in this section, means daily bag and possession limit.
(1) Pacific giant salamander
(Dicamptodon tenebrosus)
(2) Rough-skinned newt (Taricha granulosa)
(3) Northwestern salamander (Ambystoma gracile)
(4) Black salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus): See Special Closure (f)(1)
(5) Clouded salamander
(Aneides ferreus)
(6) Arboreal salamander (Aneides lugubris)
(7) California slender salamander (Batrachoseps attenuatus)
(8) Pacific slender salamander (Batrachoseps pacificus)
(9) Dunn’s salamander (Plethodon dunni)
(10) Ensatina salamander (Ensatina eschscholtzii)
(11) Western toad (Bufo boreas)
(12) Woodhouse’s toad (Bufo woodhouseii)
(13) Red-spotted toad (Bufo punctatus)
(14) Great Plains toad (Bufo cognatus)
(15) Great Basin spadefoot toad (Spea (Scaphiopus) intermontana)
(16) California chorus frog (Pseudacris (Hyla) cadaverina)
(17) Pacific chorus frog (Pseudacris (Hyla) regilla)
(18) Southern leopard frog (Rana Lithobates) sphenocephalus): Limit: No limit.
(19) Rio Grande leopard frog
(Rana (Lithobates) berlandieri): Limit: No limit.
(20) Bullfrog (Rana (Lithobates) catesbeiana): Limit: No limit.

Hope this helps! -Seth