View Single Post
Old 7th December 2015   #28 (permalink)
Peter Lembcke
(onetwentysix)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11
Default Re: Aneides lugubris breeding success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotenic_Jaymes View Post
Not pro! Just lucky. Lucky enough to have a chance to work with this species. I think Aneides lugubris is a very hardy salamander and will breed for anyone who provides the right elements.
Congrats on your animals, haven't been active on the forums in a long time and I'm glad to see you've had success with them!

I have three lugubris, and was surprised to see two sets of tiny eyes staring out at me when I went to return an animal to the enclosure (I'd taken him out to show some kids when I was doing a program at work), and then found eight more with the parents (both adults were in the hide, if I remember right - I was a bit excited so it might have just been the mother). Definitely didn't do anything special, aside from the terrarium design - a flowerpot hide on its side, opening mostly covered in clayed-up wood, and a clay background with lots of tiny cracks - the little guys seemed to love hiding in the cracks as I raced to remove them from the parent tank, afraid they'd be eaten. Three weeks later, I found another little guy, so I was wondering, did you notice (or have any chance to notice) any potential cannibalism from the adults? He was out in the open, just a few inches from the adult I don't believe he's related to, and hadn't been eaten in that time - I was half tempted to leave him in there just to see how he'd do, but don't really want to risk it.
onetwentysix is offline   Reply With Quote