Thread: Question: Prevention of Breeding?

View Single Post
Old 10th February 2016   #2 (permalink)
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Prevention of Breeding?

There are really only 3 options - sell them raise them or destroy them.
Selling them is not difficult unless you're experiencing extreme weather, and posting them is easy.
If you choose to raise them you'll be dealing with daily water changes, BBS hatcheries, and then the problem of what to do with the babies. I would normally recommend that someone keeps about 20 eggs and disposes of the rest.
You can cull the eggs by freezing them - it needs to be done in the first 4 or 5 days.

You can also allow the eggs to hatch and feed them to bigger axies, but a lot of hobbyists don't have the stomach for that.

At the end of the day preventing eggs is better than dealing with unwanted eggs, so sexes should be kept separate.