View Single Post
Old 26th September 2017   #2 (permalink)
Chinadog

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Tank cycling frustration

Hi, welcome to the site! :)

I'd say six weeks isn't really long enough to fully cycle a tank, although everybody has their own method, and each tank is different. I'd say move them somewhere you can control the water quality until ammonia and nitrite are both completely gone in their main tank. By changing all that water you might have to start over again, but keep going as you are adding the fish food and testing regularly. I don't know if you're using a filter or not, but if you can get hold of some filter medium or sponge from a mature aquarium it should speed things up a bit. Live plants will also help a lot as they will take up ammonia directly from the water and also bring beneficial bacteria on their leaves.
Nitrite spikes can take a long time to level out, I crashed the cycle in my koi pond by feeding too much while the weather was too cold. The ammonia was back to normal quite quickly, but the nitrite didn't disappear again for over two months!
Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote