I have been setting up a "new" axolotl tank over the past few days. I am using a 40 gallon breeder tank that I had tropical fish and plants in.
Over the weekend I took everything out and started "new". The filter that is on the tank is a fluval 204 it in conjunction with a penguin 170 filter worked great for the fish but is way too much for the axolotls.
Once I had the water back in I just plugged in the fluval to see how much current it made on its own. I positioned the nozzle so it was aimed at the wall of the tank. I put some floating plants in so I could see how strong the current was... it was too strong.
I spent all day yesterday trying to think up a way to use the fluval yet cut its current. This is what I came up with: I took a large Rx pill bottle (3" tall 2" across the opening) and drilled a series of small holes in its sides and bottom and drilled 2 holes on either side of where the lid would attach. I ran a wire through those top holes and made a loop to run it behind the fluval nozzle to hold it in place. The pill bottle is over the nozzle and the pressure of the water pushes it out an inch or so.
It worked great! There is not enough current now to move the floating plants at all. No ones gills are flapping in the breeze and everyone looks happy