The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hello! New Axi Owner Here!

This is a discussion on Hello! New Axi Owner Here! within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hey everyone! I'm a Veterinary Technician by occupation but only work with cats and dogs. I've always loved exotics and ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LiliTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Hello! New Axi Owner Here!

Hey everyone!
I'm a Veterinary Technician by occupation but only work with cats and dogs. I've always loved exotics and after meeting my fiancé five years ago, we've been stoking our small collection with some new additions.
As of Feb. 22 I have become the proud owner of a Leucistic Axolotl baby. [Disclaimer: First time Axi owner, first time amphibian owner!] She's only about an inch long and the only bit of information I didn't get from the breeder was about how old she was. Oops! Any help there? Back legs are little nubs but I'm thinking that could have been her siblings because they were communally housed for the convention they were a part of. I know that within a year or so they tend to reach sexual maturity and get close to their adult size at that point.
Basically, I just want to be sure I don't make any really obvious rookie mistakes. I know about temperature maintenance, sand vs. pebbles, etc. Any basic tips are welcome and I hope to be posting pictures of her completed tank as soon as I can figure out what hides would go best. What do they prefer? Plastic plants, log hides, etc. I'd be happy to provide details on my current tank set up for her as well but I feel like I've already written a book here.
So on an end note, hello everyone! I'm happy to have found a good forum for troubleshoot with.

LiliTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information
Default Re: Hello! New Axi Owner Here!

Welcome!

At about that size, probably 3-4 weeks (growth rate is temperature dependent) and there is a good chance that the legs just haven't developed yet.

Don't put them on sand yet. It is best to be bare-bottom until about 5".

Mine like broken flower pots as hides. Just sand all rough edges with a coarse sand paper.

Enjoy your new friend!

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LiliTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello! New Axi Owner Here!

Thanks so much! I wasn't sure about sand yet but I can definitely hold off. Bare bottom is a lot easier to clean up after anyway. I hope to post pictures as soon as I can get my camera to focus on the little bugger. lol

LiliTi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, axi, axolotl, baby, basic, tips

LinkBack