The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hello from Nina and James!!

This is a discussion on Hello from Nina and James!! within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello everyone!! I registered for the site a short while ago so this is me introducing us! We are from ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ninaandjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from Nina and James!!

Hello everyone!!

I registered for the site a short while ago so this is me introducing us! We are from the UK and in need of a bit of guidance...

I THINK James is a male axanthic albino; I'm not sure whether he is this or white albino so any help would be great!! I'll attach a few pictures. He is about five and a half inches at the minute and has black tips on his 'fingers'.

I have him on sand with fake plants, no light and a filter with a pipe that minimises flow in the tank. I only feed him bloodworms at the minute -- (I defrost them before giving them to him) -- which he seems to love. He gets one cube a day but not always at regular times, is this important? He gets half by hand and half I put in the tank for him to find - is this okay? I'd like to find some more varied food so any suggestions for what I could give him?

I have absolutely no idea about cycling tanks and things like that and I struggle to understand the descriptions online. I'm worried about the ammonia levels in the tank but I don't have a kit yet - any suggestions for a cheap but good one? I change one quarter of the water every week and clean the filter fortnightly (in tank water), will this be helping at all? Also the temperature averages at about 20 degrees celsius, is this okay?

He has a small chunk missing from his tail, will this regenerate and if so how long?

He swims around A LOT which I've read is a sign of stress? He looks fairly happy but he does move around the tank quite a bit - is this something I should be worried about? And if so what should I do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Nina and James!!-img_2687.jpg   Hello from Nina and James!!-img_2692.jpg   Hello from Nina and James!!-img_2890.jpg  

ninaandjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Hello from Nina and James!!

Welcome to the forum! Be sure and peruse the axolotl subforums and perhaps you can get your questions answered. Good luck!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
albino, ammonia, bloodworms, cycling tank, guidance, regenerate tail, stress help, tank water

LinkBack