The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Eastern newts with Japanese fire belly newts?

This is a discussion on Eastern newts with Japanese fire belly newts? within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello, everyone I am new to this site and was hoping that I could get some help with something? I ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By Newtmander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Newtmander is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Eastern newts with Japanese fire belly newts?

Hello, everyone

I am new to this site and was hoping that I could get some help with something? I am looking to buy some newts and was thinking to get jfbn with eastern newts in a 20 gallon tank, would this be ok? I have been reading a lot, some people say it is ok and they have had no problems at all, while others say don't do it at all? I would like to put them together very much but if it harms the newts I don't wanna do that. So I figured I'd ask before I bought them.

Newtmander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 140
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Eastern newts with Japanese fire belly newts?

Don't. Not only could cross-species contamination happen, the eastern newt has a strange mating ritual, where it grabs it's mate with its hind legs and could suffocate the other newt that is not adapted for that mating ritual

Old 16th September 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you for letting me know, I'm leaning more toward the fire belly newts to get, is there anything I can house them with or just with other fire belly newts? I'd really like a variety of newts or frogs in my tank.

Old 16th September 2015   #4 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Eastern newts with Japanese fire belly newts?

You're going to want to stick to a single specie, I would also look into finding some captive bred newts if you haven't already

Old 16th September 2015   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Aaron is right, make sure you get a captive bred newt instead of getting a sick wild caught one which will support more getting caught

Old 16th September 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you guys, I'm glad I didn't buy them first and then have something bad happen.

Old 16th September 2015   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

there are a bunch of CB newts for sale, if you like fire-bellies, some C.cyranus are available for sale, I'll link the care-sheet for them

Old 16th September 2015   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops cyanurus

Old 19th September 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: BwKilcoyne is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not recommend the Eastern Newts. I have tried keeping them multiple times, but this species does not do well in captivity. Try out the captive breed fire belly newts. They are a very cool species and do well in captivity. It is also easier to find a captive bred Japanese Fire Belly Newt than a captive bred Eastern Newt. If you like the Easter Newts, the Peninsular Newt is a great alternative. It is a subspecies of Eastern Newt that I have found to do much better in captivity. I currently have three I have had for some years now. Eastern Newts tend to randomly die within 1-6 months in captivity. I would not house another animal with the newts no matter if they are fish, frogs, or anything else. It can cause stress in the newts, and the newts or other animals will more than likely try to eat each other. I have six species of salamander myself, four of them are newts, and I keep them all separate. It makes it easier to tailor to their species species needs too. I love variety myself, so I like to have many different species of animals but trust me when I say it is not worth the risk. I had a Red Eye Tree Frog and an Amazon Milk frog together temporarily for a few weeks in the past, but they both ended up dying shortly later. All amphibians have some sort of toxin. For many species it is not enough the affect anything from being around it, but in an enclosure they live exposed to it constantly and it builds up and can be deadly. Caudata has a great article on it here. http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/M...isasters.shtml

BwKilcoyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eastern, japanese fire belly newt, newts

LinkBack