The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sick juvenile axolotl bloated with bruised belly floating upside down

This is a discussion on Sick juvenile axolotl bloated with bruised belly floating upside down within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; I have a 55 gal planted tank with 4 juvenile axolotls all around 7 months old. They all seemed happy ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Demordokos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick juvenile axolotl bloated with bruised belly floating upside down

I have a 55 gal planted tank with 4 juvenile axolotls all around 7 months old. They all seemed happy and healthy and I fed them bloodworms and guppies, until giving them their first live black worms a few weeks back. They gobbled them voraciously, but the next day one of the females appeared bloated and she was swimming upside down. I fridged her and have done daily water changes, though she has not defecated to my sight. A few days in, she did expel a small snail apparently, as I noticed it during a water change, but she has no appetite and does not appear to be getting better. After 10 days fridging, her bloating has reduced but she still swims upside down and now has a red bruise on her belly that has gotten darker in recent days, and it feels hard to the touch compared to the rest of her body. I'm worried if she has an impaction and how I can help her through this. The other axolotls all seem to be happy and healthy, so I do not believe it's a water/tank issue. My substrate is 2-3 inches of sand on top of eco-complete soil, meaning she can't get to pebbles or choking hazards other than the small snails I've battled getting rid of. I'll attach pictures in hopes someone might recognize the symptoms and help me help this sick baby. Much appreciation.

Demordokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Demordokos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sick juvenile axolotl bloated with bruised belly floating upside down

The first pic was 3 days ago, the other is today. You can see the spot has gotten darker red in recent days. The other 3 axolotls still appear healthy.
Attached Thumbnails
Sick juvenile axolotl bloated with bruised belly floating upside down-20160714_155223.jpg   Sick juvenile axolotl bloated with bruised belly floating upside down-20160717_023745.jpg   Sick juvenile axolotl bloated with bruised belly floating upside down-20160710_111316.jpg  

Demordokos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, bloated, bruised, floating, juvenile, sick, swollen, upside-down

LinkBack