The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hey new member here

This is a discussion on Hey new member here within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hey everyone How's it going ? I want to get started on a axolotls tank. I've read pretty much everything ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Taterchip93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Hey new member here

Hey everyone

How's it going ? I want to get started on a axolotls tank. I've read pretty much everything on here on how to take care of them and stuff and I have a buddy that has some so I learned a lot from him. I do have a question. I have a 55 gallon long tank, how many axolots can I put in it ? And what's your personal best opinion on the filter system ? And I do live in Texas so the heat is crazy here. So I will have to get a water chiller correct ?

Thanks for the info in advance

Taterchip93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Hey new member here

Around 4-5 axolotl max with good canister filter that have power up to 100 gallon to keep axolotl water clean. ( I use uv canister filter cause it keep out parasite and less algae) and possibly some decor or plants to block the water currents so water moment from filter will not stressing them out. Yes, you don't have to get chiller if your tank is next or below your air con, aquarium fan would be enough if you keep your air con running at the coldest , if you don't want to do that then get chiller that would be your best option. You'll also need air pump, air stone, sponge filter . New tank , you'll need to cycling it first to get good bacteria growing ( you can find lots of cycling info online) . Water testing strips water treatments , etc. will be needed to keep axolotl healthy and water clean.

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Taterchip93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome. I appreciate the reply. I'm pretty exited to start with another projects guess you can say. I have angel fish and guppies in the tank now... But I'll gonna give them away and then start getting everything ready for the axolotls.

I do have another question. Do I have to get all males or all females ? I nessicarty don't want them to breed.. But I don't want them to fight if there is 4 males or 4 females

Taterchip93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge

If you don't want them to breed then I recommending get all females. Unless you want to see male matting dance with each other during mating season, and sperms caps flying everywhere then get the males. .

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolot, new amazing member

LinkBack