The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How many axolotls can I fit in my tank?

This is a discussion on How many axolotls can I fit in my tank? within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello everyone, this is my first time using this website and I'm not sure whether this is where you ask ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cheesybreeee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many axolotls can I fit in my tank?

Hello everyone, this is my first time using this website and I'm not sure whether this is where you ask questions or not 🤔

Anywho, I've recently upgraded my tank for my axolotls, and I was hoping that I would maybe be able to get 1-2 more axolotls as well.

The tank size is 215L (57 gallons), 100cm long (3'3) and 50cm wide (1'7). I've seen lots of different opinions on different threads, and was hoping someone could share with me what they think would be a suitable amount of axolotls in this tank. I know some people would only keep one axie in this size, and others a lot more.

My current axolotls are around 20cm and are in a 55cm by 30cm 65L tank, and they seemed fine in that size while they were growing, but now I'm upgrading even though they were perfectly happy in the other tank (they never bumped the glass or swam around fast or moved a whole lot). By relative size, Id be able to fit six axolotls in my tank, but that would be too many in my opinion for sure 😂😂

So, should I get none, one, or two more axolotls to accompany my current 2 axies in their new tank? Thank you 😊

Cheesybreeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: WalkingFish has given good advice and informationWalkingFish has given good advice and information
Default Re: How many axolotls can I fit in my tank?

For aquarium fish A good rule of thumb is one inch of fish for 1 gallon of water. Axolotls produce a lot more waste than typical aquarium fish, so making sure you have adequate filtration without too much water flow is very important. As far as how many axolotls you're going to put into that tank, I personally wouldn't put five axolotls in a 55 gallon tank because that's maxing it out plus I like plants and decorations. 4 axolotls is perfectly fine however you're doubling the amount of waste going into your water and you should upgrade your filter as well. I usually count 1 Axolotl is 10 inches of fish and I always round down when using the one inch to one gallon rule. I also always take into account the amount of real estate that will be eaten up by anything that I add into the tank other than the fish. Hope this helped.

WalkingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cheesybreeee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many axolotls can I fit in my tank?

Ok thank you so much 😊

Cheesybreeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, size, tank

LinkBack