The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hi I joined because I need help

This is a discussion on Hi I joined because I need help within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hi I joined here because I would like some advice. I've had my pair of axolotls for a while now ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lawdlees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi I joined because I need help

Hi I joined here because I would like some advice. I've had my pair of axolotls for a while now and I really enjoy keeping them. Today I looked into my tank to see that one of my axies was lying on the bottom of the tank with 3 legs missing, I can only believe that my other axie is responsible. I originally thought he was dead so as I pulled him out of the water he began opening and closing his mouth indicating that he is still alive but he doesn't seem to be doing well and I don't know what to do to help.

Lawdlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Bekzaloltl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi I joined because I need help

Hi,

Don't panic, they have a tendency to eat each others legs off when they are younger.

When this happened to mine (I have a pair - the male usually ate the female), I divided the tank to isolate the injured until it started healing and regrowing - and I would feed them more. They eventually grew out of this, but poor female lost up to three legs on one occasion and was of course looking very unhappy.

If either showed signs of being sick - any discolourations, fuzziness, bouyancy issues - Id put them in the fridge for a few hours to couple of days and they always got better.

There's lots of advice in other posts too if there are no more replies here, but yes don't worry too much and if the cannibalism continues Id suggest to separate them with some kind of barrier for a while and feed well

Bekzaloltl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017   #3 (permalink)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path
Default Re: Hi I joined because I need help

I would advice putting the hurt axie in a separate tank. If you keep on doing normal care, the hurt axolotl should be able to regenerate the 3 legs back.

LinkBack