The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New here, need a little advice

This is a discussion on New here, need a little advice within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie here. I had two fire-bellied newts as a kid (or at least, I ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: brucedickinson has started on the right path
Default New here, need a little advice

Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie here. I had two fire-bellied newts as a kid (or at least, I think that's what they were, the pet store just called them "salamanders.") They were a lot of fun to watch, but that was many years ago. Honestly, I was so young it was my parents that did the caretaking of those little fellas, not me. These days, my pets have been of the mammalian variety (rats and cats). Anyway, I am interested in getting a few slimy friends in the future.

I've done a bit of research here and on other sites. Axolotls seem (and look!) awesome, but I don't think they are what I want to start with. Tiger salamanders also seem great, but, I know they are illegal in California. I am in Seattle, Washington, and I couldn't find any information about their legality in my area. I would also prefer a semi-aquatic or aquatic species (though this might be contradictory with "newbie," I realize). Could anyone recommend a newbie-friendly species? Any and all advice is appreciated!

brucedickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

First I think you should resolve whether you prefer to maintain a terrarium or an aquatic tank. There are pros and cons to each, but it generally comes down to personal preference. Also consider whether you prefer a wild-caught animal (the best source being the great outdoors locally) versus captive bred.

Once you narrow down the choices, you may want to post your question in the Newt & Sal help section of the forum. You'll get more answers there.

Oh, and by the way... welcome!

Old 11th February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: spankyruby148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New here

I just bought my first AXO a couple of weeks ago. He looks full grown, he is an albino and we are just starting to get acquainted with one another. I hope I am looking after him properly. He looks and acts healthy.

spankyruby148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NaterPotater has started on the right path
Default Re: New here

This original post was from almost 9 years ago. lol

NaterPotater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice

LinkBack