The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Greetings and salutations fellow caudate enthusiasts!!! This site rocks!!!!

This is a discussion on Greetings and salutations fellow caudate enthusiasts!!! This site rocks!!!! within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello and good day to you all. My name is Aaron Clifton and I live in Niagara Falls, New York. ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RandallRock has started on the right path
Cool Greetings and salutations fellow caudate enthusiasts!!! This site rocks!!!!

Hello and good day to you all. My name is Aaron Clifton and I live in Niagara Falls, New York. I studied axolotls in my genetics labs while in college. I became deeply fascinated with the creature in doing so. A friend had acquired some as pets from the lab and I thought they were the coolest looking things in the multiverse so I acquired some for myself! I never had any intention of breeding. I awoke one day to find a mess of eggs In my tank and quickly called a large, reliable local pet store who offered me a decent price per unit (This is the exact moment the light bulb flicked on above my head!) and assured me I'd always have demand If wished to continue breeding as a project. I've successfully breed roughly 350 of them and only expect many more. I have 13 Adults myself of assorted phenotype now. I started with a male wild, and two female melanoids. I was able to deduce based on the diversity of offspring produced that my male is fully hetero for the four major phenotype genes (A,M,D,AX). One female can produce leucistics and the other can produce Albinos (Gold, Melanoids and Axanthics). So I very much lucked out with my gene stock be able to produce more than just wilds and mels. Having become familiar with the science and the market I've come to develop a very fond appriciation and admiration for these interesting critters (All caudates in general) and hope/plan to learn much more and eventually expand into other kinds of Salamanders and Newts. I also have a set of Eastern Tiger Salamanders and hope to breed them as well. This is just the beggining. peace out!
RandallRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: pepper has given good advice and informationpepper has given good advice and informationpepper has given good advice and information
Default Re: Greetings and salutations fellow caudate enthusiasts!!! This site rocks!!!!

Welcome to Caudata, sounds like your having a good time with all those critters!
Can't wait to see pics of some!
pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Dave1812 has given consistently good advice and informationDave1812 has given consistently good advice and informationDave1812 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Greetings and salutations fellow caudate enthusiasts!!! This site rocks!!!!

May i be the first to welcome you from the UK! Have you looked at P.Waltl - I think they are great and according to "Collins Field Guide - Reptiles & Amphibians (UK/Europe) have a history of 23 - 14 million years in Europe!
Dave1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

[quote=Alnoing1;172076] I also have a set of Eastern Tiger Salamanders and hope to breed them as well. quote]
These are notoriously hard to breed in captivity

Tags
caudate, enthusiasts, enthusiasts!!!, fellow, rocks, rocks!!!!, salutations, site