The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Hello & What's the situation with the Caudata hobby in Ontario, Canada.

This is a discussion on Hello & What's the situation with the Caudata hobby in Ontario, Canada. within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello... I have an avid interest in Caudata, both as a pet hobby, and ecology and preservation. I use to ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Spitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello & What's the situation with the Caudata hobby in Ontario, Canada.

Hello...

I have an avid interest in Caudata, both as a pet hobby, and ecology and preservation.

I use to keep and breed European Fire Salamanders a few years back. Now that i want to get back into the hobby: I'm finding it impossible to obtain any, find any stores who could bring in some specimen, and find any information as to why I'm having such difficulties, as most store employees don't know why the suppliers can't bring them in anymore. Have banns been put on importing salamanders and Newts here. I know it's highly illegal to keep any native species here but has this extented into exotic species too?

Any knowledge on this topic will be most appreciated.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 68
Rep: otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Hello & What's the situation with the Caudata hobby in Ontario, Canada.

Hi Spitfire,
I deleted the duplicates of this thread and moved this into the introductions area, where people from Ontario might notice it. Welcome, and I hope you find people up there!

Dawn
otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RandallRock has started on the right path
Default Re: Hello & What's the situation with the Caudata hobby in Ontario, Canada.

Hello. I live about 3 miles from Ontario in Niagara Falls, New York. Are you anywhere near there? I've been known to get my hands on a Fire Salamander from time to time. Let me know. Peace
RandallRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Keep in mind that international trade of animals can be difficult. It requires the proper import/export permits, port exception permits, vet paperwork, etc.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hello...

I have an avid interest in Caudata, both as a pet hobby, and ecology and preservation.

I use to keep and breed European Fire Salamanders a few years back. Now that i want to get back into the hobby: I'm finding it impossible to obtain any, find any stores who could bring in some specimen, and find any information as to why I'm having such difficulties, as most store employees don't know why the suppliers can't bring them in anymore. Have banns been put on importing salamanders and Newts here. I know it's highly illegal to keep any native species here but has this extented into exotic species too?

Any knowledge on this topic will be most appreciated.
I know nothing about your local regulations, but it's quite possible that there are fewer imports, particularly of European species, which are mostly protected now. Given your interest in ecology and conservation, you could view this as a positive change.

If you lurk around this forum for a while, or look at old posts, you will probably find some other Canadians interested in breeding caudates. Trade among hobbyists is a good way to find animals, and certainly better ecologically, as compared to imports. Imports into pet shops are nearly always wild-caught animals.

Tags
canada, canada., caudata, hobby, ontario, situation, what's