The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

SALAMANDERS RULE-from the buckeye state-OHIO

This is a discussion on SALAMANDERS RULE-from the buckeye state-OHIO within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello all from Eastern ohio. Im a long time Amphibian nut. This time of year im thinking about the next ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: groundskeeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up SALAMANDERS RULE-from the buckeye state-OHIO

Hello all from Eastern ohio.
Im a long time Amphibian nut. This time of year im thinking about the next spring when all the amphibians wake up. my idea is to buy some red-spotted newts and see if they have eggs. Then try to transplant the eggs to a small pond on my land out in the country. I have not researched newt breeding but I was inspired last summer after seeing a small eastern newt in a polluted farm run off ditch on the edge of my property.I wanna try to bring them back. about 10 yrs ago I used to see a few every year. I know there common elsewhere. Last year was the first one I seen in awhile out there.
some of my favirote salamander species families are Notophthalmus and Lissotriton. my eco-region is small hills mixed tree cold forests.

I joined this site bc I had trouble finding somewhere online where ordering red spotted newts is an option. What are good sites for ordering Salamanders? Im gonna make a seperate thread for this question in the help section. but I thought Id add it here anyways -peace

groundskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: SALAMANDERS RULE-from the buckeye state-OHIO

Welcome to the site! First things first, you'll need to check with your local Department of Natural Resources to make sure putting the newts in your pond would be legal. Even though they are a native species alot of agencies really frown upon it. The best advice I can give you is to make the pond as close to perfect for them as you can, the ole addage "if you build it they will come" is so true in this case. The amount of newts and eggs that would be needed to get a small population going is pretty crazy. Altough the adults are farely toxic and can hold their own, the larvae are not therefore predation on them would be a huge problem as well. So I would seriously advise you to get the pond as close to perfect habitat for the N. v. viridescens as you can and you would be surprised how quickly they will populate it. Wouldn't even surprise me if you found them in there late spring. As for finding some for sale, your gonna be hard pressed. Alot of states forbid their sale but keep and eye out in the for sale section for them just in case. Once again welcome to the site.

Old 16th January 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I responded to your other thread, but this is a really bad idea. You're not only introducing the animals (which may or may not be a native strain), but you're also introducing any plants or animals that come with them (ranavirus, iridovirus, chytrid fungus, on and on).

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I agree with the precautions that Justin and Kaysie are suggesting. It would be far better to obtain the newts from a local source. If you have seen RSN on your property in the past, it is fairly certain that they exist in the local area, it's just a matter of finding them. If you can find an abundant local population, it would be safe to transplant a few back to your property.

Other things to consider: when buying newts online, I would bet that many die for every live one you would get. They may or may not arrive healthy enough to live for long. And they are simply taken from another locality (wild), they aren't captive bred for wholesale.

Old 19th January 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: groundskeeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback

groundskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tim S has started on the right path

Groundskeeper,

As an Ohio native you are allowed four of each species of amphibian and reptile native to Ohio provided you have a "Breeders Permit" and the species is not listed as endangered or threatened. This applies even to animals obtained from out of State.

See Ohio Regulation at: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/portals/9/PDF/pub03.pdf

Since you already have newts on your property, follow Justin's advice. There are many consequences that may result from introduction of animals obtained from unknown sources. One concern would be "genetic contamination". Do you want to restore you local (possibly unique) newt population or introduce a new one from another Country, State, or County? Eastern newts have a very broad range!

Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buckeye, rule-from, rulefrom, salamanders, state-ohio, stateohio

LinkBack