The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

hello from new mexico

This is a discussion on hello from new mexico within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hi, my name is Meadow. I am new to the forum and the world of salamanders. Early last spring I ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Meadow Clark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello from new mexico

Hi, my name is Meadow. I am new to the forum and the world of salamanders.
Early last spring I adopted a Tiger salamander from some boys who had grown tired of her/him and were talking about harming her. Sally was the most awesome creature I have ever had the pleasure of hanging out with. Some cultures feel that salamanders are mystical creatures , I agree.

Sally seemed to thrive under our care until late November our coldest time of winter here in New Mexico. She stopped eating, which we thought might be a natural response to the cold.

The reptile/amphibian pet store guy said “warm her up to 76 F”, and she would start eating again. She died in mid December.

From studying more about salamanders itnseems that optimum temperature for salamanders is between 59 to 86 degrees F.

We have no central heating and night temperature in the house, in our coldest months can get down to 50 degrees F. Mr. M talks about his winter house getting down to 41 degrees F where he is breeding tigers and someone else has put their tiger in the frig. Our frig is 40 degrees F.

My questions are. Is 50 degrees to cold? If they stop eating due to cold how long can they go before it becomes a worry? Seems that in nature they can go for months without eating.

We really loved Sally and would like to have another friend like her but am really concerned that our environment might not provide a safe home. I also have learned much from this forum and now have a better tool kit of possible remedies but it is too late for Sally.
Concerned and confused.

Meadow Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: hello from new mexico

Welcome, Meadow. No, 50F is not too cold for a tiger sal. At that temp, it would not be too worrisome if they stopped eating for a month or more. Sadly, the advice from the pet shop guy was totally wrong.

If you get another one, feel free to come to this forum anytime for advice. We have people here that have kept this species alive and healthy for many years.

Tags
mexico

LinkBack