The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hello from California Monterey Bay/L.A.

This is a discussion on Hello from California Monterey Bay/L.A. within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Just wanted to say hi, and i got a sudden urge to take care of a fully aquatic newt or ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tallenskinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from California Monterey Bay/L.A.

Just wanted to say hi, and i got a sudden urge to take care of a fully aquatic newt or salamander...

Ive been doing some searches on these forums but only found a list of fully aquatic salamanders that dnt really fit my criteria, but if you guys can guide me to a list of fully aquatic salamanders or newts that would be great

my setup
30 gallon tank
filter/heater/sand
hmm i thinks that it

is it possible to keep a baby red eared slider with a newt? or salamander?

tallenskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lusiwarrior has given good advice and informationLusiwarrior has given good advice and information
Default Re: Hello from California Monterey Bay/L.A.

Hello tallenskinny Be Welcome,
make me I remember when I started! I also started an hour to the other! However if I had these questions maybe had avoided many headaches!
If you tell me how many liters is 30 gallons, do you have a list of fully aquatic newts to your needs!
If you tell me also what is a baby red eared slider, because I can not translated to the designation also tell you have any fair about that!
Regards

Lusiwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

With a turtle, definitely not. When you say fully aquatic, do you mean no land, not even a floating island? What are the likely winter/summer temperatures if you don't use the heater?

Welcome, hope you find all the info you need here (The FAQ linked in my sig line is a good place to start too).

Old 15th December 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lusiwarrior has given good advice and informationLusiwarrior has given good advice and information

With a turtle! You have to read a little!

Old 15th December 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tallenskinny is an unknown quantity at this point

well i mean its a small turtle... like the size of a qaurter
and yes mostly aquatic as in just water
well its really cold up here, i had a tank setup by the window and it was around the 60's not above 70 F
for sure

tallenskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

As I said the Jennewt. With a turtle, definitely not. And why? The first rule you learn when it comes to this world of caudata is that species do not mix! And why? The newts and salamanders in stress when they release a non toxic secretion, which will certainly affect the other species are amphibians or not. Another compelling reason not to put with a turtle, however small it is, is that the newts in the wild are prey to turtles!
Regarding temperatures, forget the heater, my own newts are currently subject to such temperatures! What is good in nature because they also have to go through them, and who knows the process of the seasons awakens in them the most natural instincts!
Fully aquatic species! There are numerous species that when animals are adults they can be kept fully aquatic! I suppose you go buy animals as adults! However habit is to provide a small platform that is, and why? I do not know what is your experience with aquariums, but the platform serves as an escape in case of water parameters have changed or are bad! However if the conditions are good for aquarium species that never leave the water! The salamanders are almost all in their essence land just going to water to lay eggs! Soon it will be a newt that you want! You have, for example, the species of the genus Cynops, Pachitriton, Mesotriton and Lissotriton. Now knowing the genus that you can keep a fully aquatic setup, you can see here what species you have available: Caudata Culture Caresheets
A question out of curiosity, you know where you'II get the newt?
I have helped!
Sorry for the bad English!
cheers

Old 15th December 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: petlover516 has shown reliable knowledgepetlover516 has shown reliable knowledge

Welcome! Not turtles can't live with newts. Red-eared sliders grow fast and get to be the size of a dinner plate very quickly, and they will easily chomp down on a newt, and than get poisoned. They also need higher temps and a much bigger tank than 30gallons. A huge mistake: ALWAYS use the full size of a species of any pet (fish, turtle, frog, lizard, salamander, newt, caecillian, snake) when deciding a tank size. Willl a 12-inch turtle be comfortable in a 30gallon-no, so a 1-ich one won't be comfortable either.

petlover516 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack