The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotls rule in Queensland.

This is a discussion on Axolotls rule in Queensland. within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hi. My name is Lu, and my son and daughter gave me 2 axolotls for my birthday and christmas. They ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: floosy has started on the right path
Red face Axolotls rule in Queensland.

Hi. My name is Lu, and my son and daughter gave me 2 axolotls for my birthday and christmas. They came complete with everything except food and information! With no internet working, thanks iPhone for saving the day.

I wanted axolotls years ago, but I could not have them because my daughter is terrified of fish, whales and anything else watery. She says now she no longer lives at home it is okay if I have them.

So I now have an olive male and an albino female (as close as I can tell). And I love them already. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here and seeing lots of photos, which are great. More importantly I am hoping I can find help with all the little stuff so I can care for them properly and keep them healthy and happy for a long time.

Cheers! floosy

floosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jarrennylund is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotls rule in Queensland.

Hi Lu

Welcome to the forums.

Where abouts are you in Queensland? I'm in Brisbane.

Actually, I just arrived home from Xmas holidays to discover my fish tank had broken and my poor little axolotl was left in only about 1cm of water that wasn't barely over his legs. I just assumed he was dead, but then noticed he was still moving his gills every now and then, so I quickly filled up a fish bowl and picked him up and put him in there. He seems to be okay so far, fingers crossed...

Jarren

jarrennylund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: frequenc has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by floosy View Post
Hi. My name is Lu, and my son and daughter gave me 2 axolotls for my birthday and christmas. They came complete with everything except food and information! With no internet working, thanks iPhone for saving the day.

I wanted axolotls years ago, but I could not have them because my daughter is terrified of fish, whales and anything else watery. She says now she no longer lives at home it is okay if I have them.

So I now have an olive male and an albino female (as close as I can tell). And I love them already. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here and seeing lots of photos, which are great. More importantly I am hoping I can find help with all the little stuff so I can care for them properly and keep them healthy and happy for a long time.

Cheers! floosy
That's a pretty sweet Christmas gift as far as I'm concerned!!! I hope the little guys bring you years of joy!

Welcome aboard!

Cheers,
Alex

frequenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ashie has started on the right path

Hi and welcome I've just come back from picking up my sister's very late Christmas gift lol same as yours but being I'm an ex-breeder so I'm set with 99.7% of info ect..

Could you please post some pictures of your set-up?

ashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi everyone, and thank you all for the great welcome.

My camera is missing in action at the moment but I will have some pics by this afternoon. My poor overworked husband is outside at the moment in the rain (We live in Clontarf, just north of Brisbane) modifying our little drinks fridge so my axies can have their very own chiller under the house. Looks like I won't be moving their home for a while, as the hoses are going through the floor. I have been rotating freezer blocks for a couple of weeks now, and trying to keep the temp down. I am going to try fridging them for a few days and that should do them some good.

The wild type came with a bung leg, which does not seem to be doing anything, but from what i have been reading (takes up most of every day) it will either fall off or just grow back. He came with only one set of gills, which have now gone - the albino probably does not want to eat what I give her cos she has a food supply in her housemate! Or maybe it is the warmer water. It has been hard to keep it below 24, let alone down to 22.

Actually can someone direct me to where I might find info on what exactly the readings for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates should be? "Low" is not specific enough while I am learning this stuff. Also I thought I found a section on the whole cycle, and how to manipulate the levels, but now I can't find it.

My brain is full of Axolotlisms. Is that a word? I find myself talking to my husband and son like they know what the terminology is and I get funny looks. Also I have had a little feeder fish happily living in the tank with the axies, so I guess that means they are not hungry enough to catch it? they were hand fed in the Aquarium - though I must visit again today and ask them a few questions about Axies. They gave my son a bag of the tiniest gravel, maybe small enough to pass through, but then what happens if you end up with little ones? I thought it would just be easier to go for big pebbles.

Anyway, enough of that. I will post pics today. Look forward to more conversations.

floosy

Old 30th December 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi Jarren, I am in Scarborough - where are u?

Old 30th December 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jarrennylund is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by floosy View Post
Hi Jarren, I am in Scarborough - where are u?
I'm in Annerley, just south of the city.

jarrennylund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

OH, COOL, Jarren! My daughter lives in Highgate Hill so next time I am planning a visit, maybe we could get together and talk axies? i will post you my phone number as a private message.
floos

Old 1st January 2010   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

PS I found heaps of used fish tanks on ebay which need to be sold in the next couple of days, a person in Aspley. I hope you solved your Axolotl housing problem and that he is fine after his shallow holiday!
floos

Old 2nd January 2010   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: petlover516 has shown reliable knowledgepetlover516 has shown reliable knowledge

Welcome to Caudata! Your ammonia needs to be 0 at all costs, nitrites need to be 0 at all costs as well, but nitrates can be a little lose, but never above 30

petlover516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: vladimere is an unknown quantity at this point

floosy is that highgate hill in brisbane or in toowoomba and welcome by the way ....lol

vladimere is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack