The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl babies

This is a discussion on Axolotl babies within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; hi all i have a batch of babies that are around 3 weeks old they are eating newly hatched brine ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: crazyferret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl babies

hi all i have a batch of babies that are around 3 weeks old they are eating newly hatched brine shrimp which i've hatched myself.
a couple of them have dead this morning and a few others seem to be on the sides or swim up side down, can anyone tell me why they are doing this.
and does anyone know when their front legs start to grow, i've had so many people tell me they should have them bye 3 weeks dont my little guys have'nt got them get.
many thanks steph

crazyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl babies

How often are you doing water changes? What size tanks are you keeping them in? What kind of setup are you using?

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Have a read through this article called Why Larvae Die. You should be able to get some ideas of what may be causing your problem.

Old 16th April 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: shoegal has shown reliable knowledge

I found that some of mine got little air bubble in their stomachs that caused them to float. It is not a fatal problem, and it does improve as they get a bit older.

What is your water change schedule? I found that to be the most critical factor in raising baby axies.

shoegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: crazyferret is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i had them in my 4ft tank all set up with air pump and a filter, but has they are so small i was worried about them finding the food baby brine shrimp which i hatched my shelf so i put them in these fish floating pots a few babies in each pot, the seller i got them from said this would be fine,
but since i got them throw the post 3 of them have now dead, i put it down to stress in the post then when i lost another i took them out of that set up and put them into a small plastic tank with a slow flowing pump and changed their food to live daphnia which i wash first before feeding them. and so far they seem to be fine all are eating, one or two still do seem to swim on their sides or upside down.

im not sure how to do the water change ive just been removing the uneaten food.
do i do a full water change daily or just half, as i dont want to stress them, they are still really small around 2cm.
thanks for your input.
crazyferret

crazyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Eugene is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone new to this forum.
Just wondering how anyone in sydney Australia is breading Axies?
need some guidance

Cheers
Eugene

Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack