The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

HELP! I thin my axolotl is turning into a salamander?

This is a discussion on HELP! I thin my axolotl is turning into a salamander? within the Introductions Area forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello guys i really need ur help!! I got an axolotl about a 2 weeks ago from a girl whose ...

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alex19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP! I thin my axolotl is turning into a salamander?

Hello guys i really need ur help!! I got an axolotl about a 2 weeks ago from a girl whose axolotls had babies. I got it without gills, so i thought maybe its brothers or sisters had eaten it but i wasnt sure because there isnt even stumps where the feathery gills were meant to be. So i went away this weekend and i got more axolotls from the same person. I got back and put my new axolotls in the tank and found that my one without gills looked different!! I compared it to its brothers/ sisters and found that its head was narrower, its eyes where not as sunken in its head, but more so popped out, it looked a bit skinnier and also it didnt have that tail that it like a fan (like a giant tadpole tail) but that it looked more like a lizard tail. It also has smaller brown dots all overs it body now! It is an albino pink axolotl. What do it do? What type of salamander does it turn into? Is is really going through metamorphism? Please help i dont know what to do since this is my first axolotl?

Hey i found a pic on the internet of what it looks like :
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/a...s/jonsaly2.jpg

Last edited by Alex19; 22nd May 2011 at 03:10. Reason: Add link
Alex19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: HELP! I thin my axolotl is turning into a salamander?

That certainly sounds like morphing. When they morph, they don't change into a different type of salamander; they're just axolotls that have undergone metamorphosis.

Reference this thread. Morphed axolotls can be treated essentially like tiger salamanders, which means you'll need to move it to a terrestrial setup.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote