The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Poll: Should Caudata.org include forums for the other Amphibians?

This is a discussion on Poll: Should Caudata.org include forums for the other Amphibians? within the Caudata.org Announcements and News forums, part of the General Topics category; As an example of applicable cross over information check out the thread under Bufonidae regarding quarantine... Ed...

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2004   #41 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

As an example of applicable cross over information check out the thread under Bufonidae regarding quarantine...

Ed

Old 23rd October 2004   #42 (permalink)
mik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Given the sgeragation avaialble in setting up topics. I don't see why there shouldn't be an other amphibians section.

There are plenty of people like myself who only have one species or know sweet nothing about the others. It can make interesting reading when time is spare.

Today caudates, tomorrow other amphibia, the day after a bit of rest and the day after that the world! hahaha! the world shall tremble before the might of caudata

Old 23rd October 2004   #43 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Homer: "Lisa, the mob is working on getting your saxophone back, but we've also expanded into other important areas. (pulls out a piece of paper) Literacy programs. Preserving our beloved covered bridges. World domination."

Lisa: "World domination?!"

Homer: "Uh, heh, that might be a typo."

Homer's brain: "Mental note, the girl knows too much."

Old 24th October 2004   #44 (permalink)
jenn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes. This is the only forum I've visited where people don't talk down to newbies and appear genuinely interested in helping out. (And believe me, I visited a few forums that made me really uncomfortable.) Because of caudata.org, I have not only learned a lot more about bufo in a short time than I would otherwise have, but also started looking very differently at the caudates...of which before visiting this board I had no interest in whatsoever (except in Monty Python reference: "She turned me into a newt!").

I get Reptiles magazine. It's the bathroom reading, but found that's the best place to learn! I always skipped the amphibian bits and read mostly about the sauria. Because of what I've read on this forum, I went through all my back issues and started reading about the caudates in a very appreciative light.

Because of this forum - because of the Anura side of this forum - and the ability to go to all the rooms and read what everyone else is doing, I'm in the planning stages of building a nice firebelly newt tank (no newts yet - not until next year - gotta learn learn learn!).

But I will always have the toads. It all started here because I brought home a toad and wasn't fully sure what to do with him.

Old 24th October 2004   #45 (permalink)
philipp

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi all
At least Caecilians, should stay a part of caudata.org, i think, because this site is very popular beyond amphibian keepers, also beyond such, keeping caecilians beside urodeles.
Such persons often don't even look for special forums and sites, and may contact here other
"snake frog" lovers,....
In the DGHT AG Urodela (which is not only "Gersfeld", what seems to be more like a "market wonderland" for many users here),
also Gymnophonian topics are discussed, lectures are given, and articles are published,...
Especially Caecilians don't have that many friends and nobody will found a really productive "AG Gymnophonia" that soon, while Anurans are established, mainly by dartfrog keepers,...
Greets,
Philipp

Old 24th October 2004   #46 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

"Do one thing and do it better than anyone else."

Well, suffice to say I'm very unhappy with the poll results. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 24th October 2004   #47 (permalink)
mike(nathan)

Gallery Images:
Comments:

No. Since the name is already caudata.org. I think it should be focused on those.

Old 24th October 2004   #48 (permalink)
k.

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes

Although I mostly do a lot of lurking here, I have gotten enough from this website to know that other amphibian discussions are completely applicable to caudates. I don't see why the frog section couldn't be scaled down to JUST frogs. Unless the other sections get out of hand, keep them here because they only add to the diversity of possible discussions.

Old 24th October 2004   #49 (permalink)
kim

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I was against it... but after having a think about it whats the harm?

I have never kept frogs etc but it is nice to sometimes have a 'wonder' through thoses threads a take a read...

I know this website is Caudata.org, but why not share a little about others animals?

As long as it doesnt over run the website, I think it will be fine... If you dont wanna know anything about them, then don't go and read... simple as!

I vote YES, keep them.

Old 24th October 2004   #50 (permalink)
lauren

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I vote no, there are enough frog sites and way more frog keepers than caudate enthusiasts (Every pet shop sells Clawed frogs along with fish). You don't want to be outnumbered on your own site, and that seems like a strong possibility here.

Old 24th October 2004   #51 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Lauren,

Whilst I understand your concerns, I think it's worth pointing out that 99% of the people talking about non-caudates are people who have caudates too. We're not importing frog enthusiasts.

Saying it's a strong possibility that Caudate enthusiasts will be out-numbered is illogical - you make it sound like there is no control over the site.

If the vile frog lovers rise up against us, I can always delete their topic! :P

(That was a joke, frog lovers, rest easy. I like frogs too)

Old 25th October 2004   #52 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i vote yes

especially as it cannot be denied that since they are all amphibians they will have some husbandry/health issues that can apply to them all. the only other web site that has caecilians isnt reliable and isnt moderated much (as proof by some of the ads that appear on it and some of the bogus rude postings)- caecilians occupy the same niche as sals south of the equator so i can especially see a link. the fact that some of the most expierenced and knowledgable people here keep other amphibs makes it unavoidable that we would seek their help -on other sites it is hard to know the reliability of the person giving advice. the section is not heavily trafficked as dot pointed out and i would feel a loss if it went -it serves as another venue of exchange and well..bonding with the other keepers, i find it helps to identify with those who have more total amphibian expierence, and may actually introduce some people to the diversity of this class of animals.

Old 25th October 2004   #53 (permalink)
francesco

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I vote NO.
If it has just a couple of topics on other amphibians like it has now I don't mind but I'd prefer it to remain focused mainly on newts and salamanders.

Francesco

Old 25th October 2004   #54 (permalink)
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

yes

Old 25th October 2004   #55 (permalink)
juraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

No !

Old 25th October 2004   #56 (permalink)
anthony

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes

Old 25th October 2004   #57 (permalink)
jeffrey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes

I do not think it would detract at all from the site as it is. As has been pointed out many caudate keepers also keep the none caudate amphibians and this way they would be able to spread their knowledge in an already existing forum of fellow enthusiasts. Plus those who did not want to read the none caudate entries have the choice of not clicking the relevant links.

Old 25th October 2004   #58 (permalink)
Han
(han)

Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: han has started on the right path

Amphibianlover.Non-caudator. Toad-devotee: yes.
But i won't stop visiting this thorough site once the final decision will be: no.

han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004   #59 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again (can't let Nate take all the heat Click the image to open in full size.)-I think this should be remain caudata.org; there are plenty of frog sites out there that are really good and informative, this however is the ONLY caudate site on the net that I enjoy and use. The way I see it, caudates are the underdogs in the amphibian world-look at Internation Amphibian Day, its basically a dart frog convention-I think this should remain a salamanders only site. Like Nate said, "do one thing, and do it better than everyone else": we've been doing that, now lets keep it that way.
~Mike

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004   #60 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I fail to see how we'd stop "doing that" though by keeping two minority topics...

Tags
amphibians, caudataorg, forums, include, poll

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7 (Set)

Ezequiel Nahuel, J21Kickster, Jadore axolotl, Jake, Jimmyg, pete, xenopus
LinkBack