The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Caudata.org Magazine

This is a discussion on Caudata.org Magazine within the Caudata.org Announcements and News forums, part of the General Topics category; Hi John I reckon that anybody that is quite busy would appreciate a time schedule for the magazine. The idea ...

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2003   #21 (permalink)
yago

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi John
I reckon that anybody that is quite busy would appreciate a time schedule for the magazine. The idea of setting a specialized section in caudate.org could help a lot to accelerate the process. Also, the design and lay out may pay an important roll in setting the article length, picture size and so on. (I also could help on design matter with some proposals).
On the subject I suggested, cooling setups, I would need some time to complete it since I need to take all the pics, gather all the information and share some experiences with other close enthusiasts. So, I guess by the beginning of January will be ready. Is it ok? On the other hand, I could write and article/caresheet on triturus boscai in less than 3 weeks, since I have already gathered all the information and I have hundreds of triturus boscai picks in stock.
Keep in touch

Old 20th November 2003   #22 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Dick: Thank you, I'll probably get back to you on that.

Erik: Thanks but I intend to do that myself.

Yago: Here's a quote of what I said about sizing:
"4 or 5 A4 pages of 1.5 line spaces at size 10 to size 12 Times New Roman". That's only a guide though - if someone wishes to write more or a little less, that's ok. The rest of your post should be directed to me via email.

Just to reiterate: Those who volunteered or intend to volunteer for articles should email me. I would like to take the specifics off the public forum into private conversation.

Old 3rd December 2003   #23 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well only a couple of the people who volunteered have emailed me with specifics. I'm very serious about making this magazine/publication in the next month and a half. The only reason I'm not chasing people at the moment is because (as many of you seem to know, even though you shouldn't :P) I'm working on giving CC a facelift. I intend to finish that job by Sunday night so it would be nice to hear from the volunteers by then.

Old 3rd December 2003   #24 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

John, I haven't taken my observation trip to Okinawa yet. I leave Saturday and will be back on the 13th. So the later the deadline, the better from where I stand Click the image to open in full size. Will e-mail you some specifics shortly.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003   #25 (permalink)
i.

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Maybe someone could write about plants, I noticed it's a question that comes back regularly, "what kind of plant can I put in my vivarium?" There are some plants that do better because of their size and resistance to humidity, maybe someone knows a lot about this?

Old 4th December 2003   #26 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim, no problem - I wasn't referring to you anyway - you alread emailed me with more details - most people haven't.

I. - That's a great idea, any volunteers? I could contribute somewhat to it but I know there are people with much greater knowledge of plants than I out there.

Old 4th January 2004   #27 (permalink)
dean

Gallery Images:
Comments:

John I Have Just Read This Article I know It Is A Out-Of-Date But I WIll Be Making A Photo Diary Of My Warty Newts And can make a Photo journal on my Juvinile Cynops Orientalis? Intrested?

P.s Why not make the news letter an E-Book - Electronic Book - Very simple to make!

Old 6th January 2004   #28 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Calling all article contributors. I've revised the date for first drafts of articles to January 31st. If you can't make this deadline please let me know immediately. I have cleared my current Caudata.org projects list (the Caudata Culture and Caudata.org sites are done, as well as the Chat- those were my jobs for November, December and January). The magazine is my sole Caudata.org related task at the moment.

Remember, your article can be short and sweet or significantly longer (and just as sweet!). Dean's photo diary idea is fine - I intend to fit everything in. And please don't be afraid to write. We're all in this together.

Good luck.

Old 8th January 2004   #29 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

John, I'll be able to meet that deadline Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004   #30 (permalink)
yago

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I will be able to meet it too. Hopefully much earlier.
Keep in touch.
Best wishes
Yago

Old 8th January 2004   #31 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well thank you guys. Right now though it just looks like you two and myself. To everyone else: come on people!

Old 9th January 2004   #32 (permalink)
joel

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You dont have to create a newsletter with a lot of information at once. You should just release a short article maybe every fortnight or month.

Old 9th January 2004   #33 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Joel, thanks for your input but I believe I have this planned quite well (how about that for self confidence). Currently I'm aiming for quarterly but getting the first one out is important and I would prefer to have a significant number of articles for the first issue.

Old 19th January 2004   #34 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Kudos to Dave Nash for being the first one to submit his article for the publication, and what a lovely article it is.

May I remind authors that the target date for article receipt by me is January 31st. Whilst I would like to receive the majority of articles by this date I will accept them until mid February - because of personal commitments I doubt I will have a finished publication ready to go until the end of the third week of February.

Currently it looks like we'll have about 4 significant articles and several short ones (mainly photo diaries and the like). I would also like to ask the permission of the photographers at the two "Caudata.org meetings" if I could use these photos in the publication. All credit will be given of course.

May I also point out that whilst I require articles to be factual and informative, the way in which you write your article doesn't have to be "stuffy"/overly formal if you know what I mean.

I will provide a contents page of the forthcoming publication on the site here at the end of January. I'm quite excited about it, particularly due to the quality of the material I've received so far (Dave, Tim and Yago) and I am greatly looking forward to seeing others. If you're thinking about writing an article but haven't begun yet, don't be afraid to have a go!

Old 19th January 2004   #35 (permalink)
greg

Gallery Images:
Comments:

John,

will this be paper or digital? If paper.. to whom will it be snail mailed? also... how big should articles be (or what range... surely there isn't too small.. but there may just be a too large!).

Greg

Old 20th January 2004   #36 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Digital but paper by request only. The idea is that if you can't get it digitally then I will send a hard copy. I believe I've already explained article length but size isn't important. For a good article length aim for at least 4 pages of space and a half type (size 10-12 point font) not including images (if you have any).

Tags
caudataorg, magazine

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 4 (Set)

andyc, enricolatiano, Finleyaxolotl, Tudor
LinkBack