The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Caudata.org 2008 Calendar Photo Competition

This is a discussion on Caudata.org 2008 Calendar Photo Competition within the Caudata.org Announcements and News forums, part of the General Topics category; Last year it was several of the moderators, Jen, Mark and I. We each vote for the photos submitted, the ...

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2007   #21 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Last year it was several of the moderators, Jen, Mark and I. We each vote for the photos submitted, the votes are tallied and then there are finalists. These are once again voted on and the top whatever-number-we-decide are kept. We can't vote on our on photos so it's somewhat impartial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenous View Post
So who chooses what pics make it to the calender? One person, the mods, or is it decided by the people?

Old 13th September 2007   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: lims has given good advice and informationlims has given good advice and information
Talking

hehe, thanks John,
I wanted the date moving back too, although I dont have the allmighty influence that you possess, cheers for that, hehe

lims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: hunter has started on the right path

Sign me up. I love the calendars I got last year.
this is a great project. I am pleased to see it is happening so early this year.

hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org

In the meantime, I got a creditcard, so I'm all for it!

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 21
Comments: 1
Rep: ravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and information

So whens the new end date?

Old 20th September 2007   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: etcballs has started on the right path
Default Closing date

Hi, Im new to the forum, am i to late to enter in the competition?

I have some photos of my Fire-bellied newts i would like to enter, if im not to late

Thanks

etcballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007   #27 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

The new deadline is the middle of October, so no, you're not too late.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:

I am looking forward to this year's calendar. I received a lot of compliments on last year's. The one thing I would mention is that if the calendars were of a more stndad size, they would be easier to hang.

Old 4th October 2007   #29 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Yes,I noticed that the corners curl terribly because there's only one hole in the middle.
I finally hung my calendar like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Caudata.org 2008 Calendar Photo Competition-caudcalsm.jpg  

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007   #30 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Well it can only be in one size I'm afraid, so it's either the big one or a smaller size, but not both. Thoughts?

Old 5th October 2007   #31 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I didn't have a problem with the corners curling, and mine is hung with a single thumb-tack. However, I'd be quite content with the smaller sized calendar. Maybe you guys should set up a poll.

Old 5th October 2007   #32 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I like the bigger ones. The photos are just so pretty

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:

Kaysie's comment makes me think of an idea - why not a claendar and then put together a poster book or even a coffe table-esque book?
The pics shown here are magnificent, both in quality and subject. The talent represented here is extraordinary. I could see a line of posters being quite popular in multiple venues - hobbyists, serious students, educators, environmental activists, etc. But I really would be grateful for a more standard sized calendar - but whatever size is selected, I will be a buyer. Last year's were a big hit.

Old 6th October 2007   #34 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I agree with Kaysie about the beautiful pictures. Once I hung it up so it wouldn't curl, it was fine. I vote for large. Where else can you see such wonderful and large photos of newts? They are a joy to look at.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I love Hunters idea, I couldn't even begin to chose one photo over all the others as many are amazing... but a photo only book of various species would be great. I'd certainly be interested in one!!

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007   #36 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Mark, when you get back... can you give us an exact last-date deadline on submissions? I'm still working on coaxing dear husband to get the good camera out of the closet...

Old 9th October 2007   #37 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Iím back! Weíve had lots of great submissions whilst Iíve been away Ė thanks to everyone.

We can close the competition this weekend. Letís say Sunday (14th Oct) at midnight GMT. Get those cameras out, thereís still time for a few more shots.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007   #38 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information

Cool sounds good! Is there a set dat for when the winners will be announced?

Old 12th October 2007   #39 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

I think we will know the winners by the end of this month and we'll probably have the calendar for sale in early November.

Old 12th October 2007   #40 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information

Sounds good, cant wait!

Tags
2008, calendar, caudataorg, competition, photo

LinkBack