The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

US Caudata.org meeting?

This is a discussion on US Caudata.org meeting? within the Caudata.org Announcements and News forums, part of the General Topics category; OK, call me a bit crazy (wouldn't be the first time) but how about it? Now that I've lost my ...

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2007   #1 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Wink US Caudata.org meeting?

OK, call me a bit crazy (wouldn't be the first time) but how about it? Now that I've lost my qualms about driving distances (John learned to drive in December 2005 at the tender age of 28), how about we have a get together somewhere in the US? I know there have been informal meet-ups before, like IAD a few years ago? And many of the UK people got together a few years ago too, I believe at Dave Herbert's new house. Perhaps we should push the envelope a little. Ideas for locations, or anything else, are welcome. Right now I'm just brainstorming and my brain needs all of the help it can get!

Old 2nd July 2007   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

This would be an awesome idea. I would totally love to meet some of the people behind the usernames.

Why not have it in Minneapolis/St. Paul? If you've been to Dallas, John, then you can see the other end of Interstate 35

A central US location would be awesome, but maybe it would be better to see where people are and what not. I am interested though.

Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

What about at the Midwest Herpetological Symposium? Iowa's pretty centrally located, and it's not until November, and it's a weekend long. http://www.iaherp.org/content/view/13/22/

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Rep: caudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I like Kaysie's idea of tying it to a major event, the trouble is finding one that is of interest to a larger group of us. IAD would be my choice and a caudata sub-gathering would be enough to get me to go again...Baltimore is pretty centrally located for east coasters and has it's own airport plus DC's 2 to help keep costs down. Just my 2 cents...

caudataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Anyone going to Daytona this year? I know that Florida is out of the way for many people but it is a fun show.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007   #6 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

At this time, IAD will not be in Baltimore.. It will be in Philadelphia, PA.

There is also frogday in New York this year.. I will be speaking on caecilians if anyone wants to get together.

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

I would definitely second both Kaysie's choice of location and tying this up with a bigger convention. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007   #8 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I like the idea of IAD or perhaps going to a zoo that has a good salamander collection. Usually their are at least a handfull of caudata.org people at IAD. I'm guessing about 9 or 10 last year. I think one of our members used to work at a campground in the Smokey Mountains. That could be a great field trip. Maybe we could find a world famous reptile and amphibian photographer that could host a trip or meeting at a reasonable cost?

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007   #9 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If IAD is in Philadelphia I'm definitely open to attending. I want to see Ed's zoo!

Old 4th July 2007   #10 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Actually, when is IAD?

Old 4th July 2007   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

IAD is usually in May/June. I'd be up for a trip to PA.

Old 4th July 2007   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information

If its in PA I may go...

i_love_necturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I think a field trip is a good idea, especially the Appalacians, if not IAD.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007   #14 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Chip, I don't have the money to go to Daytona this year. It's on the list of events, but it's at the bottom, as it's the furthest away, geographically.

I'd like Midwest, as I can drive there fairly easily (7 hours to Des Moines), and it's a lot sooner than next year's IAD. Regardless of who shows up, I'll be at Midwest.

Old 4th July 2007   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Oooh, I don't live too far from Philly either!

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007   #16 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If we do have a meeting at IAD we should try to influence the committee to have some good caudate speakers like they did this year. IAD is nice but it is still mostly a dart frog conference.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

In regard to meeting at a show then I agree that IAD is the most logical choice, at least for those of us on the East coast. It would also give us a lot of time to make plans. I still like idea of meeting in the Smokey Mtns for a field trip. For those that have not been there is plenty to do for non-caudate loving members of the family (shopping, attractions, etc). Kaysie, I threw up the idea of Daytona because I am probably making the trip down this year but I do realize that Florida seems to be out of the loop for most people on this forum.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007   #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Boy, but wouldn't it be fun (though improbable) to all go herping together at Opal Creek! (remember that guidebook that we posted about to that park in Oregon)

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007   #19 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

The timing of this would have to be right for me but I am quite keen on attending if we can get a good Caudata.org attendance. Perhaps we could arrange something semi-official with the IAD people.

Old 6th July 2007   #20 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The first hotel fell through as it doesn't have enough space so the IAD committee is looking at other nearby venues. The show will either be the last weekend of April or in May. It depends on what is available at the different venues. Once the venue is set we will be looking to recruit speakers....

At this time I am pushing for a Pine Barrens' Field trip which although caudate poor would have lots of other cool animals....

I would like to have people visit my Zoo but the amphibian and caudate collection is a poor poor shadow of the days when Dr. Wright was the curator (when we had Andrias all the way down to Notopthalmus, now we have Cynops, Pleurodeles and Necturus).... so I don't people to get thier hopes too high...

The other option to set up a couple of herping get togethers..

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caudataorg, meeting

LinkBack