The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Caudata Culture News

This is a discussion on Caudata Culture News within the Caudata.org Announcements and News forums, part of the General Topics category; First a Thank-you to Jan Williams, who is working on assembling data (range, conservation status, etc.) for the species entries ...

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2008   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Caudata Culture News

First a Thank-you to Jan Williams, who is working on assembling data (range, conservation status, etc.) for the species entries in CC. So far, she's gotten through the Ambystomatidae, Amphiumidae, and Cryptobranchidae. You'll see that the data in the top blue box for each species is now complete for these families, and we'll continue adding after the holidays.

Second, I am considering a graphics revision for the CC site. I'm open to all suggestions. I have a general idea about the re-organization on the structural level, but I need someone to make a new banner for the top of the page. Anyone with graphics talent and a good idea out there?

Old 22nd December 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Caudata Culture News

I'd be glad to help you with the graphical work on the banner (if my semipro-level is sufficient) but at the moment I am not the most creative one to come up with ideas. Although...I think a part of these world-maps might make a nice background and (to promote the more scientific level) a picture of one of the developmental stages (egg/embryo) would be interesting.

Great work on the data, Jan!

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

If Daniel doesn't want to do the graphic work, My dad is an Art Director, so I could ask him to make a banner if you'd like.

I'm glad CC is getting some fresh stuff, thanks Jan!

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Another thank-you is due, this one to David Tobler for writing up some species info for the California Tiger Sal:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Am...orniense.shtml

Daniel is working on a new banner image

And Jan is continuing to compile data for all the species entries

Old 3rd January 2009   #5 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

David didn't mention anything about the nose, which seems to be their most distinguishing feature?

Old 4th January 2009   #6 (permalink)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Rep: nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

John, I'd say the nose on that particular animal is a little different, but not really indicative of californiense as a whole.

nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The photos are of several different animals?

Old 5th January 2009   #8 (permalink)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Rep: nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The page linked shows 3 different animals. The last two are captives at the cincy zoo.

nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009   #9 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Here's a few more pix to add to the discussion:
http://www.californiaherps.com/salam...forniense.html

Several of these (and the ones we show) appear to have flatter heads than many ambystomas but then California tigers in some parts of their geography have hybridized with Eastern and Barred sals...perhaps why they (some) may not appear too different?

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

FYI: Jan and I have finished compiling (Jan) and pasting (me) the species data for all the species pages in CC. This data appears as the yellow text in the blue box at the top of every species page. I think having this information is a great addition to the quality of the site. There are a couple of hundred of these pages, so needless to say, it was a VERY large donation of time made by Jan to compile all of this information. Thank you again, Jan!

Old 22nd February 2009   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Lots of applause from over here. You guys are great :)

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009   #12 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Awesome ladies! I respect all the time you guys put into this and everything you do that doesn't get mentioned.

Old 4th April 2009   #13 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

So, I just went to CC only to find that it has been totally re-designed! It looks fantastic! I'm really impressed with it overall. Nice work, indeed!

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009   #14 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Don't encourage them :P.

Old 4th April 2009   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Don't encourage them :P.
If they're going to put out that quality of work, I'll encourage them

Gorgeous layout and I really dig the color scheme too. Excellent redesign all around!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009   #16 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The site is looking fantastic! Keep up the good work

froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Thanks, all! Given John's preferences, I'll try not to be encouraged

Old 5th April 2009   #18 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Some encouragement is a good thing but piling it on can't do any good now, can it? :)

Old 5th April 2009   #19 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Sorry, but i have some encouragement to give away...
Congrats ! I really like it, i was very used to the old CC hehe, and iŽll take time to get adjusted, but i really like it!
Good work :)

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org

As a graphic designer, I have to say I absolutely LOVE the new look and better navigation! Some caresheets still link to the old layout, but I'm sure that's known :)

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caudata, culture, news

LinkBack