The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Caudata.org 2010 calendar photo competition

This is a discussion on Caudata.org 2010 calendar photo competition within the Caudata.org Announcements and News forums, part of the General Topics category; The 2010 caudata.org calendar photo competition is officially open. Last year's competition pushed the photo quality higher than ever before ...

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2009   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Cool Caudata.org 2010 calendar photo competition

The 2010 caudata.org calendar photo competition is officially open.

Last year's competition pushed the photo quality higher than ever before and hopefully this year will match or better it. The calendars are sold worldwide through the caudata.org store and are the only rational way for caudate hobbyists to keep track of important dates.

The competition is open to all registered users and it couldn’t be easier to enter. Simply send your photos to the following email address: photocomp@caudata.org

The rules:

• The photo must be of caudata either in captivity or the wild.
• No more than 5 photos per user.
• The photo must belong to you i.e. you took it or own the copyright. If chosen for the calendar you will retain the copyright.
• The photo is in a digital format – preferably JPEG
• The photo must be a minimum resolution of 2000 x 1500 pixels – the more pixels the better.

Valid entries will appear in this thread for all to enjoy and discuss. The competition will close on Sunday 27th September '09.

If you're looking for inspiration take a look at the previous year winners:
The winning entries of the 2008 Competition for the 2009 Calendar
The winning entries of the 2007 Competition for the 2008 Calendar
The winning entries of the 2006 Competition for the 2007 Calendar

Good luck to all that enter.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Caudata.org 2010 calendar photo competition

I'm excited!

Old 2nd April 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 5
Rep: b00f has given good advice and informationb00f has given good advice and informationb00f has given good advice and information

I expect Tran to turn his resolution up, get the tripod out, and go NUTS!!!

I shall be doing the same myself, just gotta find my tripod :P

b00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Ryan St. Laurent

Ryan St. Laurent - Necturus maculosus

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 2nd April 2009   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Default Jari Boerboom

Jari Boerboom - Neurergus kaiseri

Old 3rd April 2009   #6 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Here we go! I can hardly wait to see more entries...!

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I would like to remind everyone that you can only enter by following Mark's instructions in the first post of this thread. That means you have to email the photo(s) to the address he has provided. You do not post them in this thread - Mark will post them when he has received them as official entries. Thank you.

Old 3rd April 2009   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

I like the axolotl, John. We need one in the calender this year.:)

Old 3rd April 2009   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

If we have a big pic that would look better cropped, should we crop it or let you crop it?

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

If you can crop without the need to inflate the resolution then I say go for it. A degree of cropping may be applied by John before the photo goes to print but voting will take place against the image you submit. In other words don't rely on the judges to see the potential of your image.

In the past we have asked for the original "as it came out of the camera" in an effort to get the highest resolution image possible for print purposes. In the years since this competition began camera technology has moved on leaps and bounds and most modern digital cameras are more than capable of taking images sizes suitable for our purposes.

So, if you think cropping will improve your image and the cropped image still fits the minimum dimensions, feel free to crop it yourself.

Old 4th April 2009   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Default Kaysie Cox

Kaysie Cox - Desmognathus ochrophaeus

Kaysie Cox - Notophthalmus viridescens Photo 1

Kaysie Cox - Notophthalmus viridescens Photo 2

Last edited by Mark; 5th May 2009 at 21:12.
Old 6th April 2009   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Default Dawn Osselmann

Dawn Osselmann - Ambystoma maculatum

Dawn Osselmann -Plethodon hubrichti photo 1

Dawn Osselmann - Plethodon hubrichti photo 2

Dawn Osselmann - Plethodon hubrichti photo 3

Old 15th April 2009   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Default Andy O'Conner

Andy O'Connor - Plethodon larselli

Andy O'Connor - Dicamtodon tenebrosus

Andy O'Connor - Ambystoma macrodactylum macrodactylum

Andy O'Connor - Dicamptodon tenebrosus Photo 2

Andy O'Connor - Dicamptodon tenebrosus Photo 3

Last edited by Mark; 2nd October 2009 at 09:18.
Old 15th April 2009   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: andyoconnor83 has given good advice and informationandyoconnor83 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Justin Reed

Some great pictures thus far, though I don't think any of mine will make it, it's fun to see they are at least shown here. and Mark, no offense taken since I didn't put it in my emails, but my last name is O'Connor.

andyoconnor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009   #15 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyoconnor83 View Post
my last name is O'Connor.
That's because you can spell, unlike most of the Irish named people in the US!

Old 16th April 2009   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: andyoconnor83 has given good advice and informationandyoconnor83 has given good advice and information

LOL, It's so true John.

andyoconnor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Default David Tobler

David Tobler - Ambystoma californiense

Old 22nd April 2009   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 6
Rep: tran has given consistently excellent advice and informationtran has given consistently excellent advice and informationtran has given consistently excellent advice and informationtran has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00f View Post
I expect Tran to turn his resolution up, get the tripod out, and go NUTS!!!

I shall be doing the same myself, just gotta find my tripod :P

Aaron, don't you mean "I expect Tran to turn HER resolution up ... "

Cool my first entry in, so exciting! Good luck everyone, nice photos so far.

Old 23rd April 2009   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Critter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
The 2010 caudata.org calendar photo competition is officially open.

Last year's competition pushed the photo quality higher than ever before and hopefully this year will match or better it. The calendars are sold worldwide through the caudata.org store and are the only rational way for caudate hobbyists to keep track of important dates.

The competition is open to all registered users and it couldn’t be easier to enter. Simply send your photos to the following email address: photocomp@caudata.org

The rules:

• The photo must be of caudata either in captivity or the wild.
• No more than 5 photos per user.
• The photo must belong to you i.e. you took it or own the copyright. If chosen for the calendar you will retain the copyright.
• The photo is in a digital format – preferably JPEG
• The photo must be a minimum resolution of 2000 x 1500 pixels – the more pixels the better.

Valid entries will appear in this thread for all to enjoy and discuss. The competition will close on Sunday 27th September '09.

If you're looking for inspiration take a look at the previous year winners:
The winning entries of the 2008 Competition for the 2009 Calendar
The winning entries of the 2007 Competition for the 2008 Calendar
The winning entries of the 2006 Competition for the 2007 Calendar

Ok, I am a little new to the "digital camera" world, but I take some very nice photos and I find it a fun hobby of mine. With that said, I have a dumb question. Will my camera that boasts shooting 4.1 mega pixels (and I know that there are some out there that shoot 12 mega pixels now...) and a Fujinon Zoom Lens, 3x 6.4-19.2mm 1:3.-5.5 (whatever all that means) make the cut? I sincerely hope so, as I take great care in the pictures I take. If I were to submit some for the competition it would only be the ones with the greatest clarity and best composition and color. I would be posting now but I have to find the software that got misplaced during my last move.

Old 25th April 2009   #20 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Default Re: Tran Nguyen

I think Tran has the axolotl section covered. Very nice photo.

Tags
2010, 2010 calendar, calendar, caudata.org, caudataorg, caudate, competition, photo, picture

LinkBack