The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New Look - Don't Panic

This is a discussion on New Look - Don't Panic within the Caudata.org Announcements and News forums, part of the General Topics category; Originally Posted by Aimee Also, I keep getting bumped off with my screen telling me the servers are too busy....are ...

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2009   #21 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: New Look - Don't Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
Also, I keep getting bumped off with my screen telling me the servers are too busy....are these just a few kinks that are still being worked out?
Hmmm - so it's not just me. I've seen this quite a bit over the last few days.

New skin looks excellent, good work John.
Attached Thumbnails
New Look - Don't Panic-serverbusy.jpg  

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #22 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

I'm not sure what's happening either but with the new look things have become quite slow and the dreaded server busy messages are popping up very frequently. Some sort of memory leak or process that isn't terminating?

I do like the new look. Very clean and easy to read. It seems almost too clinical but I think that may just be years of green background speaking since all my other pages are friendly black on white. I do really like the new look and layout!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #23 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

I have to agree it is BRIGHT, (Imagine all this white on four 22 inch LCD monitors...) I am a night person! Looks like I will get that tan I always wanted...

I especially like the new icons for messages. I can scan through even faster now!

I agree there may be a few bugs yet, site stability is a bit choppy. Lots of 404s showing up and slow load rates, even on Chrome.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #24 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I too like the new look, I am still a little blinded by the brightness. I also use a 19" monitor and I don't particularly care for the scroll bar at the bottom.

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars...
madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information

The new look is Great! I like it but the server is busy busy busy sometimes.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information

The new look is Great! I like it, but the server seems to be busy sometimes.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: mechanic380 has started on the right path

I love the new look it is very clean and professional. I have also found a new feature I will likely use alot, No Post Left Behind. The Title bar with changing images is a great feature also.

mechanic380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dodgy is an unknown quantity at this point

skin looks great, but scroll bar is a real pain, makes reading a total chore.

dodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009   #29 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information

Is it possible it could be modified so it fits on all screens? If not I may go back to the old look because its frustrating to have to constantly move the screen back and forth to read things.

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009   #30 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 11
Rep: axolotlgangster has started on the right path

The new lay out is cool but its too big i have a 19" too and it would be better if it would be a tad bit smaller thank you.

Old 6th October 2009   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axie girl is an unknown quantity at this point

I sort of paniced at first I thaught the computor had rederected me to another site, I think it is rather bright but I'll get used to it and will you always have the old skin option for the supporters of the good old days? If you don't then ohh well, now I can be cool and wear my sunnys

axie girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009   #32 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
It may just be my computer, but loading times seem much longer between pages for me with this new look. Also, I keep getting bumped off with my screen telling me the servers are too busy....are these just a few kinks that are still being worked out?
That's not related to the new look. I am aware of this problem and I'm having the provider give me some options.

Old 6th October 2009   #33 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I've taken some measures to ease the load on the server. In the mean time, the provider will monitor what's going on for a few days so we can root out any problems.

Old 6th October 2009   #34 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Due to complaints about the width, I've reduced the overall width by 100 pixels. That's about the best I can do.

Old 6th October 2009   #35 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

I've also removed the photo gallery section from the top of search results pages in order to lessen the load on the server. I always found them annoying anyhow.

Old 6th October 2009   #36 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: zerelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hiccups

Well, I am new here so I only briefly saw the old design; that said, I really like what you did. The new desing is crisp and modern and easy to look at. No offense intended to the designer of the previous look, I just think this one is very nicely done and remember there was something about the other site that seemed difficult to navigate in comparison to this one. Just wanted to say good job!

zerelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009   #37 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Default Re: Hiccups

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerelli View Post
No offense intended to the designer of the previous look, I just think this one is very nicely done and remember there was something about the other site that seemed difficult to navigate in comparison to this one. Just wanted to say good job!
Yeah, the old designer sucked. I fired him.

Old 6th October 2009   #38 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like it, just way too much white all over the place. maybe some more color would look nice. I like how neat everything looks tho.

monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009   #39 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Greewok has given consistently good advice and informationGreewok has given consistently good advice and informationGreewok has given consistently good advice and information

Sorry to be a combo breaker, but I am not a fan of the new design. I almost need my sunglasses on the try to navigate, the white background is out of control. Also, the left and right margins seem too wide...A lot of extra reading space seems wasted.

Greewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009   #40 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information

Thankyou John for shortening the width of the site. It helps. Maybe you could tone down the white, make the background a bit darker, perhaps more of a grey or tan.

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new look, panic

LinkBack