The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New Look - Don't Panic

This is a discussion on New Look - Don't Panic within the Caudata.org Announcements and News forums, part of the General Topics category; I hope you like Caudata.org's new "look", known as a skin. We are still using the same software under the ...

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2009   #1 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Thumbs up New Look - Don't Panic

I hope you like Caudata.org's new "look", known as a skin. We are still using the same software under the hood, so it has all the same functionality as the old skin. This new look brings with it some subtle usage enhancements, but I'm sure there will be a few people panicking right now because their favourite forum looks like a totally different site. Let me reassure you by saying that, aside from the rearrangement of the menu options at the top of each page, the way around the site hasn't really changed. And if you look through those menus at the top you will find that everything you liked about the old look is still available.

If you're still gripping the desk and contemplating drastic measures, I have a solution. If you go to the bottom of any screen on the forum you will see a pulldown menu beside the language choice menu that will let you choose the old style of the forum! Hurray! Well actually if you take that option you may well miss out on new features that will be added to the shiny new skin. My advice, stick with the new one and it'll grow on you. I've been using the new one for a week and now the old one just seems incredibly clunky.

Hot tip! The old "New Messages" and "New Posts" options have been combined. Now if you click on "New Posts" you'll get new posts since your last login, but if you hover over it instead of clicking, you get all the old skin's "new message" options too.

Any suggestions? Additions to the menus? Let me know.

(PS: If you're looking at this with the old skin then that tip on the new messages won't make sense to you)

Old 5th October 2009   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: New Look - Don't Panic

One other thing I would like to point out - those banners loading at the top right of the page are completely non-commercial.

Old 5th October 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ralf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default AW: New Look - Don't Panic

I like it. Looks great.

Ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: AW: New Look - Don't Panic

Design is nice but i used to like the dark coloured skin, this one is hitting my eyes with istari-white Too light for me.

Old 5th October 2009   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

My heart almost stopped...jesus christ xD
Ill need time to adjust, i dont like change hehe but i think im going to like this new look.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: flan123 has shown reliable knowledgeflan123 has shown reliable knowledge

I like this. It will take time to get used to it, but well done!!!

flan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I was pretty shocked when I first came on like "What is this!?!?" But after realizing that this is the good old site with a new coat of paint I am just loving the new look!

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: robkeulers has shown reliable knowledgerobkeulers has shown reliable knowledge

It looks a bit like Salamanders - De Nederlandse Salamander Site now, cool!

Only problem is I have a 19 inch screen, and the page does not fit anymore, I have a scrollbar at the bottom. Is there something that can be done about that?

Old 5th October 2009   #9 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkeulers View Post
Only problem is I have a 19 inch screen, and the page does not fit anymore, I have a scrollbar at the bottom. Is there something that can be done about that?
I sympathise but I am sure a 19 inch monitor can do over 1150 pixels wide. In any case, design decisions have to be made to accommodate the majority of users and to compromise as little as possible on aesthetic appeal and usability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkeulers View Post
It looks a bit like Salamanders - De Nederlandse Salamander Site now, cool!
Really? All I get is this error message.
Attached Thumbnails
New Look - Don't Panic-salamanders.nl.jpg  

Old 5th October 2009   #10 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Ahh those bookmarks take me back.

Old 5th October 2009   #11 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: firesalamander has started on the right path

i amyself like the desighn but it is way to light for me.

Albert Einstein
firesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #12 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Now it's loading for me. I don't see the resemblance other than they use a variation on our 8 year old colour scheme of green and orange. I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :).

Old 5th October 2009   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Glow is an unknown quantity at this point

I like it!
Looks cleaner.
It is certainly bright, but if you wear sunglasses - problem solved.

Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I like the new look. It's crisper and more contemporary.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I love it!

Old 5th October 2009   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: End has shown reliable knowledgeEnd has shown reliable knowledge

I like it,
I think it's more easy find each sub-section of the forum now, so I personally prefer this version, thank you.

End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: foranthro is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: New Look - Don't Panic

Its cool I like it.

Old 5th October 2009   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: Aimee has shown reliable knowledgeAimee has shown reliable knowledge

I may be a neophobe...perhaps I just need some time to get used to it. I did like the darker background, but I must say that this new look takes strength in its simplicity. The title bar at the top looks great.

It may just be my computer, but loading times seem much longer between pages for me with this new look. Also, I keep getting bumped off with my screen telling me the servers are too busy....are these just a few kinks that are still being worked out?

Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

And panic I did!! .....but now I have taken a deep breath and supped a glass of wine all is well.
Like some of others I find the lighter background rather bright, and dare I say it cold...but I can get used to wearing sunglasses
I also have lots of small squares with red crosses in..especially when I was looking at the amazing calender entries.

Last edited by bellabelloo; 5th October 2009 at 20:44. Reason: forgot my squares ..
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mandygurl has started on the right path

I think the new look is awesome! Its got its quirks but those will go away in time. Good Job!

mandygurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new look, panic

LinkBack