The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aquatic or Semi-Aquatic or Terrestrial?

This is a discussion on Aquatic or Semi-Aquatic or Terrestrial? within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Which kind of amphibian do you like more?...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

View Poll Results: Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, or Terrestrial?

Aquatic 100 61.73%
Semi-Aquatic 38 23.46%
Terrestrial 24 14.81%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ndbug
  • 1 Post By SeraphimSept
  • 1 Post By sde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2017   #1 (permalink)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cloppy has shown reliable knowledge
Default Aquatic or Semi-Aquatic or Terrestrial?

Which kind of amphibian do you like more?

Old 1st April 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Aquatic or Semi-Aquatic or Terrestrial?

Tough choice, but probably terrestrial. For me they're easier to feed and maintain, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an enclosure with Alpine newts or some other semi-aquatic or aquatic newt

Old 7th April 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: ndbug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have to say Semi-Aquatic would have to be my favorite! I enjoy building vivariums that are half land half water alot more than fully aquatic. Plus watching them prance around the land and as well as swimming around is very entertaining imo xD

ndbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SeraphimSept is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer aquatic, as that is the majority of what I have kept and I love aquascaping, but I would love to someday set up an interesting semi-aquatic vivarium.

SeraphimSept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I like all, but I tend to prefer terrestrial. Easier maintenance in my opinion and I can do more with the tank. With aquatic setups it takes a lot more effort to make a nice looking tank with a background and such. All my aquatic tanks are just sand, plants, and water. Whereas terrestrial I can build underground areas, plant with ferns and mosses, create hills or diverts and such, position logs and bark in certain ways, etc. Semi aquatic setups are just kind of annoying though, to me.

Old 16th May 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: speckles has shown reliable knowledge

when i had my tiger salamander i had a terrestrial set up and he was relatively easy to care for. i also had an axolotl and he was easy to care for too just needed water changes weekly and keep an eye on water parameters. when i had speckles the tiger salamander he would bury himself in the dirt and just stay there while the axolotl moved and swam and chases worms halves

speckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: KittyKatMe is an unknown quantity at this point

My favorite species to keep have been pipids and axolotls. I think that's mostly because they're not finicky eaters at all and it's much easier to see them. They tend to be much more active as well. I like dart frogs for those same reasons, though they are much more difficult to provide for and for me (someone terrible at DIY), building a viv was a nightmare.

KittyKatMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ParkourMexican is an unknown quantity at this point

I house an ambystoma mavortium nebulosum in a 20 gallon long and I have the little guy's habitat set up of roughly 20% aquatic and 80% terrestrial. It makes for a more natural habitat (I think) that way he can choose where to spend his time. and I can say from the 3 years that I've had him that he prefers to be in the water when not hibernating.

Semi-Aquatic is also more interesting to look at in my opinion as well.

ParkourMexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Rhacodactylus1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer terrestrial species. Desmognathus, Ambystoma and Notophalmus are what I'm keeping right now, and it's been a blast. I've dealt with some finicky Plethodon species, but I'd love to get my hands on an Ensatina or Aneides lugubris, which aren't native of course.

Rhacodactylus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have three alpine newts that basically spend all of their time underwater. I've seen the female on land a few times. (I have two large pieces of hollow cork stuffed with moss and plants wedged in two corners.) The two males don't venture out of the water, but they also still have their gills. However, I've read that that subspecies I have are mostly aquatic.

I guess I'm drawn to aquatic amphibians because I started as and am still an avid aquarist, so it was a natural transition. And the aquatic newts seem to be more visible than say, land-based salamanders who hide a lot. BUT, I'm only going off what I've read.

It'd be interesting to keep a tiger salamander or some eastern newts at some point.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack